Re: AC and 747s

I'm sure one of AC's most expensive 747 costs was the folks up-front,
then the plane itself. AC could always fill them.

But with 744's (all by definition less than 14 years old) sitting in
the desert, the price is probably right.

And as Mark mentioned there are numerous routes, cargo and pax that the
744 would work extremely well on AC's route system.

Cathay flies two big boys most days YVR-HKG, why can't AC with all of
it's possible UA/AC feeder traffic?

And with over-the-pole routings now more readily available than they
were only a few years ago, AC could easily fill 744s doing YYZ/YVR-New
Delhi, Bombay etc.

AC has problems, but very few of them were related to the inability to
fill their large international routes.

Canadian's prime pickings were their 744/DC10 dominated routes to Asia,
so much so that Air Canada tried to buy only those routes... but after
a nasty acquisition battle they ended up saddled with all of Canadian's
debt, their planes, their liabilities which of course was the nail in
their coffin.

Matthew