From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
RWM
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 4:39 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Radar

The aircraft "is" whatever is listed in the ATC flight data tag, which is
based on
the flight plan information.

There MAY BE a separation question raised by this reported incident, if
true, in
that the traffic separation behind "heavy" jets is procedurally maintained
longer
than for light jets, including a G-V, due to the potential for upset due to
wake
turbulence/vortex.  So, if the data tag was inaccurate, there MAY HAVE BEEN
separation issue.

- Bob Mann

mgreenwood@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone on the list know if ATC can tell an aircraft type by the blip
that
> shows up on the radar screen?  When AF1 was travelling to Iraq, it was
filed as
> a Gulfstream in the flight plan.  Apparently a British pilot saw it over
> British Airspace and asked British ATC if it was in fact Air Force One.
ATC

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it
in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
the original e-mail.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.