Re: AIRLINE Digest - 28 Nov 2003 to 29 Nov 2003 (#2003-196)

I presume you are correct about having the Asian airlines in mind and it
certainly sounds logical.  However, somebody at Airbus is intelligent enough to
know that the Asian carriers would want to serve LAX with the beast.  Airbus
should have approached the airport to see if there would be any problems with the
size of the aircraft, instead of designing it first, starting production and
then trying to cram it down the throats of LAX and other airports that simply
don't have the spacing available between runways and runways, runways and
taxiways, taxiways and taxiways, etc.

Gate hold room sizes are yet another additional problem as you state.  The
beast will probably take up two or three gate apron areas due to the wingspan.
No wonder this thing is unloved.

I fail to see how shops will benefit from passengers getting off the A380.
After a long-ass flight they'll want to clear Immigrations/Customs and get the
hell out of the airport to a hotel to recuperate from the flight.  The last
thing on their minds will be shopping inside the terminal.

Jose Prize
Fan of reality