SF Gate: Delta to focus on better customer service to bring passengers back

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/11/11/f=
inancial1334EST0134.DTL

Tuesday, November 11, 2003 (AP)
Delta to focus on better customer service to bring passengers back
HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer

   (11-11) 10:34 PST ATLANTA (AP) --
   Delta Air Lines, trying to fight its low-cost competitors, is renewing i=
ts
focus on one of its strengths of the past: customer service.
   For years, Delta was considered one of the best at fostering customer
loyalty through friendly and helpful employees, short waiting times,
quality in-flight food service and good on-time performance. But the
airline industry slump following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks
changed that, as the country's third-largest airline laid off 16,000
employees and concentrated simply on surviving.
   "I used to call it the deluxe Southwest," said Terry Trippler, an indust=
ry
expert with the online travel service cheapseats.com in Minneapolis,
referring to Southwest Airlines, which, along with AirTran, is one of the
low-cost carriers Delta is fighting.
   "They've lost it, and customers noticed. Then AirTran pops up with smili=
ng
friendly people and suddenly people had something to compare Delta to in
Atlanta, and that's why AirTran is where they are today."
   Chief executive Leo Mullin says he is committed to fixing the problem.
Last month, he sent a memo to the staff stating Delta is returning full
attention to delivering what passengers value most -- quality customer
service.
   The changes are especially important, he said, because low-fare carriers
are poaching what had been Delta's traditional business and more people
are routinely driving distances of up to 200 miles rather than taking
short flights.
   "I think the customer experience in 2002 and even the early part of 2003
was not as good as it should have been," Mullin said in a recent interview
with The Associated Press. "I have basically decreed and said to everybody
we've got to decree the survival period is over and get back to what has
made Delta great over the years, which is a real concentration on customer
service and that is what we're about right now."
   Among the customer complaints the airline received over the last two yea=
rs
were changes in Delta's frequent flier program, not enough staff available
to answer questions and the increasingly worn appearance of airplace
cabins. The airline's on-time performance is about in the middle of the
pack among major carriers, but executives say that has improved
considerably and is around 80 percent.
   As he waited for his baggage after getting off a Delta flight this week =
at
the Atlanta airport, Frank Ortiz, a 21-year-old from Panama City, Fla.,
who does communications work in the Air Force, complained about the
cramped plane cabin. He also said the airline has lost his baggage a
number of times over the years.
   And, he said, "I don't think I've ever had food on Delta. It would be
nice."
   After discontinuing its free meal service on many flights, Delta is now
selling food onboard. It also recently eliminated the $5 some passengers
had to pay for in-flight entertainment. Delta also has moved ticket
counter agents to make them more accessible for customers. This week,
Delta said it will test a new service catered to business travelers on
flights from Atlanta to Houston and Kansas City that will offer free
coffee, a newspaper, a broader selection of snacks and in some cases, free
beer or wine.
   Told about the meals-for-sale program, Ortiz said that wouldn't interest
him.
   "I could probably buy better food once I got to the airport," he said.
   Another Delta passenger, Dwight Sommers, a 58-year-old health care
consultant from Bowdoin, Maine, said the service on his first-class flight
to Atlanta was top-notch, but he complained about the nearly $800 ticket
price. Overall, he said the service on Delta is better than on other
airlines he's flown on.
   "If you're in first class, it's always good service," Sommers said. Of h=
is
trips in Delta's coach class, Sommers said, "That's the cattle car."
   Rich Cordell, Delta's senior vice president for customer service, said t=
he
airline is using technology to correct some of the customer service
problems.
   Delta has installed self-service kiosks in many terminals to allow
customers to get boarding passes without having to stand in line at a
counter. For people who miss a connecting flight or are subject to a
cancellation, new devices being installed in the gate areas allow
customers to get a printout of their new boarding pass on the next
available flight, which the airline automatically rebooks them on.
   Electronic gate displays with more information are being installed and
Delta is working with the Transportation Security Administration to speed
the flow of passengers through the terminal.
   "Yes, we've introduced technology into our airports, but we've also
changed our employee roles," Cordell said.
   Ray Neidl, an airline analyst with Blaylock & Partners in New York, said
Delta's customer service issues are similar to those at other major
carriers that have had to make significant cutbacks in the last two years.
He said the Delta has fared pretty well overall.
   "If you lose the business traveler, you'll never be able to get those
yields back up," Neidl said. "It's especially important for Delta to keep
its service reputation up."
   Mullin acknowledged that Delta's cutbacks have affected employee morale,
and that in turn has hurt customer service. One way he's tried to deal
with that problem is to travel more on flights and make himself available
to talk with pilots and flight attendants.
   "They've been battered a bit by the circumstances that have occurred,"
Mullin said. "Who could not? It's been very hurtful to lose 16,000 of your
valued colleagues and have all of that change your entire relationship. So
we're working hard on the employee morale situation in order to build that
sense of spirit back into the place as well."
   Trippler, the Minneapolis industry expert, said he is pleased Delta is
concerned about slipping customer service, but wants to see more
improvements.
   "If Mullin says that's something he regrets, give him credit for saying
that," Trippler said. "I hope that Delta returns to the type of airline
that it was at one time."

On the Net:
   www.delta.com

=20