From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 2:25 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: (Aviation taxes) RE:

I agree with you on the impact at the runways, Baha.  However, the segment
fee is not for airports.  It's for Air Traffic Control.

It's a strange tax. It applies to commercial aviation but not if the flight
is to a rural airport. This is defined by the IRS (a great source of
aviation information!) as one that has less than 100,000 annual enplanments
and is more than 75 miles from another airport that doesn't have less than
100,100 enplanements OR is receiving Essential Air Service Aid.

The problem with the segment tax and other flat-rate taxes such as the
Passenger Facility Charge is that they affect short-distance and low fares
the most.  If there is a charge of $3 on a $100 ticket, that's 3%.  The same
charge on a $200 ticket is only 1.5% and so on.  My contention is that a
short-distance flight uses less ATC than a long distance flight.

BTW: You will never win an argument with me using the "we have lower taxes
than other countries." As they say in the south, that dog don't hunt.  It's
the same thing as saying we should jump off the bridge because everyone else
is.

David