SF Gate: Northwest Airlines reports third quarter profit

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/10/16/f=
inancial1002EDT0052.DTL

Thursday, October 16, 2003 (AP)
Northwest Airlines reports third quarter profit
KARREN MILLS, AP Business Writer

   (10-16) 08:40 PDT MINNEAPOLIS (AP) --
   Northwest Airlines Inc. reported its second consecutive quarter of
profitability Thursday but warned that the results don't signal an end to
its financial troubles.
   Northwest earned $42 million, or 49 cents a share, in the quarter ended
Sept. 30, after a $5 million payout on preferred dividends. That compares
with a loss of $46 million, or 55 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenues
was essentially flat at $2.56 billion.
   The results surprised Wall Street. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Ca=
ll
has expected a loss of 49 cents a share.
   Northwest's second-quarter profit of $227 million was due to government
reimbursement of security fees and sale of ticket processor WorldSpan.
   "These results do not signal an end to our challenges or diminish the ne=
ed
to address our cost structure in light of the changes in the revenue
environment," said chief executive Richard Anderson.
   "While it is encouraging to report a profit, the third quarter is
traditionally strong for the industry due to greater demand in the summer
months and in particular for Northwest because of its significant Pacific
operation, which has an even greater summer demand peak," Anderson said.
   Northwest will continue to try restructuring its labor costs, he said. T=
he
Eagan-based airline is seeking to cut companywide labor costs by $950
million per year and is seeking significant cuts from its labor unions.
   Northwest currently is in contract negotiations with its pilots,
represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, and its ground and
customer service employees, represented by the International Association
of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
   The company also has taken other steps to cut costs -- including closing
the Michigan reservations center, rescheduling its Memphis hub and
dropping domestic mail service -- to further reduce operating expenses and
maximize revenues.
   "At the same time, we remain focused on ensuring that Northwest remains a
viable, long-term competitor by prudently investing in new aircraft,
facilities and technology, as well as addressing our customers' travel
needs by growing our network and utilizing alliances including the
Continental and Delta marketing agreement," Anderson added.
   For the first nine months, Northwest lost $122 million, or $1.48 a share,
down from losses of $310 million, or $3.63 a share, a year earlier.
Revenues were down slightly to $7.10 billion, from $7.15 billion.
   Northwest shares gained $1.66, or nearly 13 percent, to $14.41 in late
morning trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

On the Net:
   Northwest Airlines: www.nwa.com

Karren Mills can be reached at kamills(at)ap.org

=20
Copyright 2003 AP