Re: United seeks to sell stakes in Orbitz, Hotwire

In a message dated 10/15/2003 7:23:49 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bahadiracuner@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Let's see,
> - they are selling some LHR slots (even though they are irrelevant ones ,
> such as LHR-BRU),
>  - they are selling few 744s,
>  - they are promoting "double bonus miles for your elite status but you have
> to pay us $100 up front",
>  - they used to give monetary awards (say $400 for your next r/t purchase)
> for cancelled flights, now
>  it is all "future travel award for aroundtrip with 14 days advance
> purchase" ,
>
> are these the early signs of a major folding? Is this somewhat similar to
> what Eastern or PanAm experienced?

Nope...just redeploying assets and amassing cash.  There are still lenders
willing to give UA more money...PA and EA were out of cash and couldn't borrow a
dime more.  I'd hang on to the miles, Baha!

RT Simpson
Phoenix