NYTimes.com Article: Boeing Sees Profit on 280 Jet Deliveries

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: IN AMERICA - IN THEATRES NOVEMBER 26

Fox Searchlight Pictures proudly presents Academy Award(R)
Nominee director Jim Sheridan's (My Left Foot, In The Name
of the Father) most personal film, IN AMERICA, starring
Samantha Morton, Paddy Considine and Djimon Hounsou. For
more info: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/inamerica

Boeing Sees Profit on 280 Jet Deliveries

October 13, 2003
 By REUTERS

Filed at 2:53 p.m. ET

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - U.S. airplane maker Boeing Co.said on
Monday it expected to make a full-year 2003 operating
profit on deliveries of 280 commercial jets, though
airplane production was unlikely to recover until 2005.

``This year we will deliver about 280 airplanes,'' Randolph
Baseler, vice president marketing at Boeing Commercial
Airplanes, told a news conference in Sweden, in line with
the company's previous forecasts.

Boeing's main rival, European Airbus (EAD.PA) (BA.L), is
expected to deliver around 300 jets this year, overtaking
Boeing for the first time as the world's leading supplier.

``Our objective is to be financially successful,'' Baseler
said.

Asked if Boeing would be able to make a profit in 2003 on
sales of 280 airplanes, down from 381 in 2002 and 527 in
2001, Baseler said: ``Yes...from an operating point of view
it will be a profit.''

In the first half of this year the Boeing group posted an
operating loss of $666 million. The Boeing Commercial
Airplanes unit delivered 145 new airplanes, down 35 percent
year on year, and made an operating profit of $201 million.

Boeing expects global demand for new commercial jets to
total 24,300 airplanes in the 20 years beginning in 2003,
the company said in a market outlook.

``In the next 20 years, we forecast that the world will
require $1.9 trillion in new airplane deliveries, that is
24,300 new airplanes,'' it said.

The Boeing forecast assumed annual world economic growth
would average 3.2 percent through 2022, airline passenger
traffic growth of 5.1 percent per year and annual air cargo
traffic growth of 6.4 percent.

``Commercial aviation will come back again because it is so
interlinked with world economic growth,'' Baseler said,
attributing the past two years' slump in civil aviation
mainly to the hijacked airline attacks on the U.S. in
September 2001.

``With 5.1 percent passenger growth and 6.4 percent cargo
growth projected, the total fleet will double in the next
20 years. It will take almost 18,400 airplanes to meet
growth requirements. In addition it will take about 5,900
airplanes to replace retiring airplanes,'' the company
statement said.

Baseler reiterated Boeing's forecast of 275-290 new
commercial aircraft deliveries in 2004.

``We expect that probably there will not be a turn-up in
airplane production until 2005,'' he said, adding Boeing
expected the airline industry as a whole to return to
profitability in 2004, with new orders for airplanes
picking up in 2004-2005.

INTEREST IN 7E7

Baseler told Reuters on the sidelines of the market outlook
presentation that plans for Boeing's new 7E7 Dreamliner
passenger jet remained on track.

``We plan to go to the board in December, and we expect the
board to approve the 7E7 in December,'' he said.

``We would then launch the 7E7, offering it to airlines in
the first quarter of 2004,'' he said. Test flights of the
aircraft, which is to be assembled in the U.S. at an
as-yet-unspecified location, would take place in 2007 and
first deliveries in 2008, Baseler said.

The 7E7 is Boeing's first all-new commercial plane in more
than a decade.

At a separate presentation in Rome, Boeing's commercial
vice president for Europe said the 7E7 Dreamliner had drawn
interest from 50 airlines, particularly in Asia and Europe.

``Around a third of the interest has come from Europe and
we've had a lot of discussion with Asia carriers, which are
pretty vibrant and recovering well from the impact of the
SARS virus,'' Marlin Dailey told reporters.

``U.S. customers are interested and intrigued, but they
have a different set of issues to deal with. I do not
expect them to lead the launch of 7E7,'' he added.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-transport-boeing-sweden.html?ex=1067138339&ei=1&en=620772caa88d5db5

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company