Re: Stuff that is going on with Regional Airlines

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis W Zeuch" <DZTOPS@xxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 16:25
Subject: Re: [AIRLINE] Stuff that is going on with Regional Airlines

> They make whopping $17K before taxes and their salary goes up to $24K/year
> after 3 years of service.
>
> If they have a spouse and maybe one or two children---I think they can
> qualify for relief/food stamps and medicade etc as living below the
federal poverty
> level.
> How can you expect professional conduct and high qualifications with a
> Walmart pay scale?

No one has forced the pilots to fly to Mesaba.  If their union is so weak
that the can only get $17K to start, then they should get a new union or
just not work at Mesaba.

You may not be able to get highly qualified personnel at that rate but I
expect someone to act professionally if hired.

I was able to determine the hourly rate - the contract, at least according
to the union's page.  First of all, it is $14 to $21 an hour.  However, the
statement above is misleading - this is the rate for First Officers, not
captains.  Captains are paid at "industry rate."

The union is also upset that someone "pulled off the street" could be placed
into the cockpit ahead of someone already working.  In other words, the
union prefers its god (seniority) over someone who may be better qualified.

source: http://mesabapilots.alpa.org/

David R
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/books.html