Re: Southwest B-737 (Early Models)

From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>

Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 3:27 AM

> In a message dated 10/7/2003 5:02:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> yul@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << Can anyone tell me if Southwest still has the older B-737 models?
>   Weren't some of
>  these models designed to have a flight engineer?  D/does SW currently
>  have f/e
>  in some of their a/c? >>
>
> WN still has some 732s, all of them are the advanced models (longer range,
> better aero).  The 737 was designed from the start to have a 2 person
cockpit.
> The 3 pilot thing comes from when the pilot's unions forced 737 carriers
> (namely United) to carry a third crew because they were worried about the
737
> taking over from the 727.  Was a bit stupid, and eventually UA was flying
their
> 737s with 2 (like not)

Stupid or not, I think most of the FE's gradually got into the right seats
before the 737's went without them.   Did the FE ride a jump seat, or in the
cabin, or just wherever he/she wanted (actually I guess there weren't many
if any women up front then)?  From a jump seat, I suppose you could reach
the throttles fairly well (:-)).

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley