Re: More 737 stuff

Is that true?

Assume you and I are starting a new airline.  From our perspective, the
737NG and A19/320 are largely interchangeable, especially because we =
have no
existing fleet to worry about for commonality purposes.  If Airbus is
selling their product at $50 and Boeing is selling theirs at $100, the
choice becomes pretty simple.  (jetBlue, in fact, was certain that they
would be purchasing 737NGs until they got the final bids from Airbus and
Boeing.)  If we change the facts a bit, so that Airbus is selling their
product at $95 and Boeing is selling again at $100 (and the $5 =
difference is
attributable solely to the extra cost of a CFM engine), think about the
pressure Boeing will put on CFM to lower engine prices to make the plane
competitive.  Plus, GE does not get to set prices willy nilly on the CFM
56--it must answer to Snecma as well.

If we move to an airframe that has engines sourced from a single, =
non-joint
venture supplier (the 777LR you reference, for example), we, as a whole, =
are
actually better off from the exclusive arrangement.  Assume the 777LR
provides a societal surplus of 100 (this is the "extra value" associated
with the production and sale of the airframe).  That 100 exists _solely_
because of the engine exclusive--if there was no exclusive, there would =
be
no 777LR and thus no surplus.  Surely, the benefit of having the =
airframe
outweighs any potential costs associated with a single-source engine =
deal.
Boeing saves costs on testing and certification, and those savings are
passed directly to the customer (and ultimately to the individual =
traveler
in the form of a better cost structure for the airline).  GE is assured =
of
some revenue (likely at least enough to cover the engine's development
costs).  Airlines get an additional airframe from which to choose.  Who =
is
the loser?  You cannot just say "oh, well we'd all be better off if =
there
was a choice of engines."  There is zero justification for that--in =
fact, if
anything, there is a justification that more choices leads to higher =
costs
(through type certification, etc.).

GECAS does not mandate the purchase of GE engines for leasing, nor the =
use
of GE maintenance facilities.  If the GECAS package is not competitive, =
ILFC
is happy to provide financing.  At the end of the day, it costs money to
make an engine.  What is the difference if GE pays for that engine =
upfront
or over the life of the airframe?