NYTimes.com Article: New Campaign for Alaska Airlines

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

New Campaign for Alaska Airlines

September 30, 2003
 By STUART ELLIOTT

A FULL-SERVICE airline with a reputation for cheeky
creativity is taking satiric aim at no-frills competitors
with a campaign about a make-believe rival whose spartan,
inconvenient flights and what-me-worry attitude are meant
to put the "low" in lower-fare.

The campaign, for the Alaska Airlines division of the
Alaska Air Group, has as its centerpiece a Web site for an
imaginary discount carrier, SkyHigh Airlines, offering
visitors an elaborate series of jokes and pranks that make
the fake site (www.skyhighairlines.com) more engaging than
many real ones.

The site carries mock marketing slogans like "Flying is
expensive. Let us cheapen the experience" and "Lowering
fares. Lowering the bar"; pitches for "Super Scrimper"
bargain fares, which turn out to be on the SkyHigh
Flightless Eagle bus line; and a letter from the unctuous
chief executive of SkyHigh, Howard Barium, that begins,
"What is it with you people?" There is also a fiendishly
realistic flight-booking engine that continuously routes
users through multiple small cities and charges fares in
the thousands of dollars for SkyHigh's two classes of
service: bench and cargo.

"SkyHigh Airlines represents everything frustrating to
businesspeople and other travelers who are looking for
better service," said Tom Romary, vice president for
marketing at Alaska Airlines in Seattle, "and the campaign
says there's an alternative."

The campaign, created by the longtime Alaska Airlines
agency Wong Doody in Seattle, has an estimated budget of
$10 million. Kicked off with TV and radio commercials in
West Coast markets like Los Angeles and Seattle, it is the
latest example of a counterattack by full-service carriers
like Alaska, American Airlines and United Airlines against
upstart rivals by stressing services like seat selection,
meals, first-class seating and nonstop direct flights.

Carriers like AirTran Airways, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue
Airways and Southwest Airlines are using humor and
so-called viral or underground marketing methods to tweak
their older, larger competitors, so it is fascinating to
watch Alaska Airlines using fire to fight fire. But the
tactic is risky for several reasons.

"It's wonderfully farcical, and I admire the effort," said
Drew Neisser, president and chief executive at the Renegade
Marketing Group in New York, owned by Dentsu. "But for this
to work it has to strike a real nerve. Otherwise it's
`Thanks for the joke, but I'm off to buy my ticket on
JetBlue.' "

The campaign "has to hit on a real weakness of JetBlue or
Southwest," said Mr. Neisser, whose agency specializes in
nontraditional and viral ads, "and tap into the emotions of
unhappy customers." If not, he added, the ads could be
perceived "as if Alaska Airlines was saying, `How come you
can't see what you're missing by not taking our flights?' "

Alaska Airlines originally introduced SkyHigh in the 1980's
with a similarly humorous campaign - minus the Web, of
course - created by a previous agency, Livingston & Company
in Seattle. The idea was to demonstrate the levels of
service on Alaska Airlines by contrasting them with an
avatar of how not to run an airline.

The device is being revived, said Tracy Wong, chairman and
creative director at Wong Doody, "to remind customers about
service at a time when everything is about cutting
service."

"Comedy has its roots in reality," he added, "and our goal
is not to take potshots at particular discount airlines but
the experience of flying them."

In keeping with the unconventional viral-marketing
approach, Wong Doody is promulgating the SkyHigh Web
address discreetly, mentioning it only at the end of brief
radio commercials. By the same token, the references to
Alaska Airlines as the actual sponsor, as well as the links
to its own site (www.alaskaair.com), are limited and appear
fairly far down on various pages.

"We wanted to make them more obvious, but the client said
no," Mr. Wong said, laughing.

As of Friday, there had been more than 70,000 unique
visitors to the site, which went up on Sept. 19, he said.
Underscoring how widely Internet users can share
information about joke Web sites, the agency's data
indicate that visitors have come from as far afield as
Cuba, Estonia, Latvia, Malta, Tobago and Uzbekistan.

"We're hoping this becomes behind-the-scenes marketing for
us," said Mr. Romary, adding that there are already
positive comments about the campaign in online discussion
groups devoted to travel as well as jocular e-mail messages
from consumers pretending to be writing to SkyHigh.

"We're taking the industry's cost-cutting frenzy to an
absurd level with SkyHigh Airlines, whose only focus is
cutting costs rather than on customers," Mr. Romary said.
"The humor comes from the fact that no company could
survive treating its customers like that."

One executive with extensive experience in humorous airline
advertising praised the Alaska Airlines campaign - up to a
point.

"I'd like to say imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery," said Paul Cappelli, president at the Ad Store in
New York, the agency that creates the humorous campaigns
for JetBlue. "But if I did, it would mean we're paying
homage to Alaska Airlines," he added, because of its
heritage of humorous ads.

"I think Alaska Airlines can do this," Mr. Cappelli said,
"because it's not a huge, major carrier," adding that if a
bigger airline tried a similar campaign, it would run the
risk "of consumers saying, `You're not giving me anything
different except older planes and higher prices.' "

Older planes and higher prices? Sounds like another slogan
for SkyHigh Airlines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/business/media/30ADCO.html?ex=1065929251&ei=1&en=e1f7217afda52c8c

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company