Boeing sees 7E7 launch customer news by mid-2004

Boeing sees 7E7 launch customer news by mid-2004  =

 =

 =

  =

Thursday September 25, 12:34 PM EDT =

(Adds quotes, details throughout)

By Jason Neely, European Aerospace & Airlines Correspondent

LONDON, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Boeing Co. (BA) expects to win management app=
roval to go ahead with its proposed new 7E7 Dreamliner passenger aircraft=
 and to announce launch customers by mid-2004, its chief financial office=
r said on Thursday.

"I'd say the first half of next year would be highly likely," Mike Sears =
told reporters, referring to when launch customers might be announced.

The world's largest planemaker is seeking final management approval this =
year to deliver the 7E7 Dreamliner by 2008, its first all-new commercial =
plane in more than a decade.

Analysts expect U.S. and Japanese airlines such as Japan Airlines System =
Corp (9205) to be key to the 7E7's success.

 =

A quickly changing airlines sector in which low-fare carriers have sparke=
d an industry-wide drive to lower operating costs is shaping the 7E7, whi=
ch is expected to be cheaper to fly.

"We're seeing market share (among airlines) going to the low-cost guys," =
Sears said.

More automation and outsourcing will be used to contain development costs=
 of the 7E7, he said.

"We'll do that task with less people, that's one dimension of why costs a=
re going to be less than on (manufacturing) previous airplanes," Sears sa=
id.

"The second dimension is we're going to enjoin major partners in the deve=
lopment process funding," he said. "We'll finalise all that in the remain=
ing months of this year."

Much of the 7E7 is expected to be sourced abroad, from countries includin=
g Japan and Italy.

Japan's big three heavy machinery makers -- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries L=
td. (7011), Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd (7012) and Fuji Heavy Industrie=
s Ltd (7270) -- are expecting large pieces of the 7E7.

Italy's Alenia Aeronautica, part of state-controlled Finmeccanica (SIFI),=
 has also been named in the 7E7 design and manufacturing team.

And Sears said one key decision expected by the end of the year is whethe=
r Boeing will invite one, two or three aero-engine manufacturers to devel=
op powerplants for the 7E7.

He said no decision had yet been made but added that aircraft financiers =
had expressed interest in the 7E7 being developed with limited variations=
 to make it easier for airlines and lessors to trade the aircraft.

Boeing duels with Europe's Airbus (EAD) (BA) in the world's main market f=
or commercial planes of over 100 seats.

Airbus hopes to expand market share with the 555-seat A380 due in 2006 wh=
ile Boeing is placing its bets on a more cost-efficient design in the 200=
-seat range. =

=A92003 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS