From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Bill Hough
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 6:28 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NYTimes.com Article: JetBlue Chief Wasn't Told of Decision on
Passenger Data

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

JetBlue Chief Wasn't Told of Decision on Passenger Data

September 25, 2003
 By PHILIP SHENON

WASHINGTON, Sept. 24 - The chief executive and founder of
JetBlue Airways was not informed last year when it decided
to give records on more than a million passengers to a
military contractor for use in identifying terrorists, the
airline said today.

In a statement to customers on Tuesday night on its
Internet site, www.jetblue.com/learnmore
/privacypolicy.html, the chief executive, David Neeleman,
apologized again for the release of the information and
said, "Although I had no knowledge of this data transfer at
the time it was made, I accept full responsibility for this
action by our company."

Mr. Neeleman did not identify the executive or executives
who made the decision, nor did he say when he was informed
of the release, which the company has acknowledged was a
violation of its own privacy rules. But Mr. Neeleman
defended the reasoning behind the transfer of the records
to the military contractor, Torch Concepts of Huntsville,
Ala.

"I can understand why the decision was made to comply with
this request from the Department of Defense," he said. "In
the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, and as New York's
hometown airline, all of us at JetBlue were very anxious to
support our government's efforts to improve security."

JetBlue, a three-year-old New York-based airline that has
worked to build a reputation for low fares and customer
satisfaction, acknowledged last week that the transfer of
the passenger records was a mistake and publicly
apologized.

In a project intended to determine if passenger records
from a major airline might help to identify terrorists,
Torch Concepts tried to marry the JetBlue records with
other databases in search of the passengers' Social
Security numbers, financial history and family size. Torch
Concepts said the Army hoped to use the study as a model
for protecting military bases from terrorist attacks.

The fast-growing airline is now facing lawsuits from
privacy groups and passengers over the release of the
customer records, which included names of passengers, their
addresses and phone numbers. JetBlue's actions are also
under scrutiny by the Department of Homeland Security and
the Federal Trade Commission.

The American Civil Liberties Union announced today that it
had established an Internet site allowing JetBlue
passengers to fill out an online form that could be
submitted to the government under federal privacy laws for
information about them that might have been provided to the
government by JetBlue. The site address is
www.aclu.org/privacy.

"We want to empower people to find out for themselves if
they have been caught up in this experiment in using
average Americans' personal information in a misguided
effort to detect terrorists," said Barry Steinhardt,
director of the group's Technology and Liberty Program. "We
believe this page is an unprecedented tool. It lets
Americans file official requests without having to hire a
lawyer or become an expert in privacy law."

A spokesman for JetBlue, Gareth Edmondson-Jones, declined
to identify the executive or executives responsible for the
release of the passenger information last year, and he said
that no one would be disciplined for the breach of the
company's privacy rules.

"I don't think it's important," he said when asked to
identify the executives. "The decision was made as a
company. I don't think it's relevant."

He said that the company was continuing to receive
complaints from passengers about the violation and that
telephone reservation agents had been briefed on how to
respond to concerned passengers - by explaining that the
move was made for patriotic reasons and out of concern for
passenger safety. "We have provided them answers - it's not
a script," he said. "Patriotism, good of the country, it's
all very similar."

He said that passengers seemed to be split on the release
of the customer information to the military contractor,
with many passengers saying they understood the airline's
actions. "A slight majority seem to be more than ready to
accept the reasons why we did this, regardless of whether
we regret doing it," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/25/business/25PRIV.html?ex=1065496493&ei=1&en
=3593d0522b63a307

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company