NYTimes.com Article: JetBlue Moves to Repair Its Image After Sharing Files

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

JetBlue Moves to Repair Its Image After Sharing Files

September 23, 2003
 By MICHELINE MAYNARD

Airline executives, industry analysts and privacy groups
said yesterday that JetBlue might have to do more to
appease fliers than issue an apology to those who
complained about its decision to share information on 1.1
million customers with a Pentagon contractor investigating
security issues.

While analysts said they doubted the disclosure would do
more than scuff the airline's reputation, the industry was
still shaking its head over an unexpected black eye to the
airline, an aviation darling since it began flights in
2000.

In reaction to the uproar over its action, JetBlue said
late yesterday that it had retained the accounting firm
Deloitte & Touche for help in the "continued development"
of its privacy policy. It said the firm would help the
airline refine its standards regarding customer data.

The airline also has changed its mind and said it would not
be a test airline in the government's screening program
called CAPPS II, or Computer Assisted Passenger Profiling
System, nor would it provide background data about its
passengers to the Transportation Security Administration
unless required to by law.

JetBlue executives also said yesterday that no one had
taken legal action, but Kevin P. Mitchell, chairman of the
Business Travel Coalition, which represents corporate
travel departments and business travelers, said "there's
talk of lawsuits out there."

JetBlue's shares, which have tripled in value in the last
year, fell 96 cents, to $57.96.

Some passengers boarding Jet- Blue flights at Kennedy
International Airport yesterday said they were concerned.
One passenger, Sherman Hendel, said he was surprised and
"offended" by the disclosure. "I would not expect that an
airline would divulge personal information about
passengers," he said. "I resent it."

A spokesman for the airline disputed the contention that it
handed over sensitive personal data, like Social Security
numbers and income levels. "We provided names, address,
phone numbers and flight information," said Gareth
Edmondson-Jones, a spokesman for the airline. "Torch was
able to extrapolate that data. It certainly didn't come
from us: we don't keep that information." He was referring
to Torch Concepts, a company that is working with the
Pentagon on antiterrorism security.

In any case, Mr. Jones added, "the data's been destroyed.
It never reached anyone outside Torch. Yes, granted, we did
break our own policy. We've regretted it and are being very
open regarding it."

Mr. Jones said the airline had not decided whether it
needed to offer compensation to passengers, in the form of
free tickets or discounts. "It's certainly something we're
talking to our customers about," Mr. Jones said.

Even as major airlines' fortunes have plummeted since the
summer of 2000, and especially after the attacks of
September 2001, JetBlue has been soaring. Along with
Southwest Airlines, it is considered a leader among
low-fare airlines, which now carry nearly a quarter of all
passengers in the United States. Unlike Southwest, which
champions a no-frills approach, JetBlue's fleet offers
business-class style seats and video screens, making it
appeal to a more upscale bargain seeker.

It also has gained a reputation as a well-run airline,
frequently scoring best among all carriers in on-time
performance, as well as recording industry lows in canceled
flights and lost baggage.

Other airlines dismissed the idea that the practice of
sharing passenger information with the authorities might be
prevalent. "We do not provide that type of information to
anyone," said Kurt Ebenhoch, a spokesman for Northwest
Airlines.

Mr. Mitchell of the Business Travel Coalition said the
airline's action might alarm corporate customers.

Many big companies, with an eye to saving money in a tight
economy, have been booking increasing numbers of employees
on discount airlines including JetBlue. Companies might
curtail that practice if they do not feel they can trust
airlines to keep passengers' records a secret.

"This is a very serious business," Mr. Mitchell said of the
data sharing. "This kind of information could tell you the
patterns of the people who fly JetBlue" whether business
travelers, celebrities or members of Congress.

Last Friday, the airline disclosed that it had shared 5
million sets of names, addresses and telephone numbers on
1.1 million passengers last year with Torch Concepts, based
in Huntsville, Ala.

The airline's chief executive, David Neeleman, apologized
to passengers in an e-mail message on Friday. "That was a
mistake on our part, and I know you and other customers
feel violated by it," he wrote.

But John McCorkle, a flight attendant for US Airways who
writes an airline industry newsletter, said the move
ignored the airline's own privacy policy, posted on its Web
site. In it, JetBlue promises that "the information
collected on this site is not shared with any third
parties."

Mr. McCorkle and Mr. Mitchell both said passengers were
bound to question JetBlue's assertion that it had destroyed
the customer records. "I would want to know in far more
detail that they had done so," Mr. Mitchell said. "And I'd
want to know that they'd put safeguards in place so that it
would never, never happen again."

Some passengers at Kennedy airport yesterday said they knew
of the information sharing and were dismayed.

Marilyn Hendel, who was traveling with her husband to Palm
Beach, said, "If the government wishes to investigate
people, they should have representatives at the airport
doing it."

Some JetBlue passengers said they had no problem with the
airline releasing personal data to ensure their protection.
Philip Lo Piccoto, a New York hair stylist, said that
"under regular circumstances, I would feel terrible," but
the conflict in Iraq justified the airline's decision.
"Seeing as we're in a war," he said, "it's O.K. with me."

The JetBlue episode comes amid a dispute between American
and European officials over how much information European
airlines should provide about passengers traveling to the
United States. The United States wants airlines to hand
over passengers' files before they board planes, as a
safeguard against possible terrorist acts. Privacy
advocates say the airlines should not be forced to violate
European privacy rules.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/23/business/23AIR.html?ex=1065325371&ei=1&en=7689290112716b86

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company