Re: low-cost vs. discount vs. low-fare

--Boundary_(ID_n+XjzZaRJFLNcpbd3x8Fpg)

Just an observation:

Journalists constantly use the terms:

- low-cost carrier
- discount carrier
- low-fare carrier

...and rather interchangably.

I think on the lists we've noted the discrepancies in this reporting:

- Airlines like SouthWest pay many of their employees wages on par with =20=

airlines like NorthWest
- Almost all of the majors, like Delta, match AirTran and SouthWest =20
fares
- The in-cabin/airport service on many "discount" carriers exceeds the =20=

standards offered by so called 'full-fare' airlines

I'd consider Air Canada a discount carrier. They match the lowest price =20=

and have a high population of grumpy employees usually associated with =20=

discount business' like a K-Mart.

WestJet, on the other hand, provides an exception level of airport and =20=

in-flight service. Both qualities of a 'full-fare' carrier.

Bizzarre

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 08:08  AM, Bill Hough wrote:

> This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
> The original article can be found on SFGate.com here:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/=20=

> 2003/09/18/BUGTL1OVSM1.DTL

> Thursday, September 18, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
> United taking flight into low-fare skies/Southern California one of 14 =
=20
> destinations
> David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer
>

> =A0=A0 United Airlines on Wednesday said it will launch its =
long-awaited =20
> low-fare
> unit in February from Denver International Airport.
> =A0=A0 The still-unnamed unit, which has used the code-name Starfish, =
will =20
> fly
> initially to 14 locations, including one in California, before a =20
> rollout
> nationally, United spokespeople said.
> =A0=A0 Ontario International Airport, in Southern California, is the =
only
> California destination among the original 14 destinations, which also
> include Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Orleans and Tampa, Fla.
> =A0=A0 The new unit is designed in part to recapture once-lucrative =20=

> business
> travelers, who have historically paid high walk-up fares and who have
> defected in recent years to low-fare carriers to save on travel costs
> during the three- year economic slump.
> =A0=A0 United spokesman Jeff Green said San Francisco International =20=

> Airport and
> other Golden State airports will eventually get the new service, but =
he
> would not supply a timetable.
> =A0=A0 He also said United is not yet ready to reveal the name of the =
new =20
> unit,
> which will compete with established low-cost carriers such as =20
> Southwest,
> JetBlue, ATA, Air Trans and America West.
> =A0=A0 United's new low-fare unit will also face a stiff challenge =
from =20
> discount
> carrier Frontier Airlines in Denver.
> =A0=A0 United, which has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy =20=

> protection
> since December and has lost some $7 billion since late 2000, is the =20=

> second
> established network carrier to create its own low-fare arm, following
> Delta Air Lines, which started Song in April.
> =A0=A0 United said its new low-fare unit would operate with assigned =
seats =20
> and
> sell on-board meals.
> =A0=A0 E-mail David Armstrong at davidarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle

<image.tiff>

> SkyOne--The Airline News Channel
> =A0 To Post message: Skyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Skyone URL:
> =A0 http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Skyone
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=

--Boundary_(ID_n+XjzZaRJFLNcpbd3x8Fpg)

Just an observation:

Journalists constantly use the terms:

- low-cost carrier

- discount carrier

- low-fare carrier

...and rather interchangably.

I think on the lists we've noted the discrepancies in this reporting:

- Airlines like SouthWest pay many of their employees wages on par
with airlines like NorthWest

- Almost all of the majors, like Delta, match AirTran and SouthWest
fares

- The in-cabin/airport service on many "discount" carriers exceeds the
standards offered by so called 'full-fare' airlines

I'd consider Air Canada a discount carrier. They match the lowest
price and have a high population of grumpy employees usually
associated with discount business' like a K-Mart.

WestJet, on the other hand, provides an exception level of airport and
in-flight service. Both qualities of a 'full-fare' carrier.

Bizzarre

This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.

=
in/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/09/18/BUGTL1OVSM1.DTL

=

<excerpt>

<fixed>SkyOne--The Airline News Channel

=A0 To Post message: Skyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx