Re: Big aircraft makers line up at Air Canada's door

Because the most profitable carriers have labour contracts which allow
them to fly bigger birds with cost-structures that only exist within
the regional 'arms' of the majors.

If Air Canada/United/USAirways/Delta had the per-seat-mile labour costs
that their subsidiary/affiliates have like AC
Jazz/AirWisconsin/Comair/Mesaba etc then they would be more competitive
(note I said more, not 'as') with the companies you mentioned.

Matthew