Re: AmWest International

In a message dated 8/30/2003 6:13:40 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
niraj1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Their foray into the Far East was so mis-conceived I'm surprised they
> even survived when it imploded on them a few years later.

Nothing like only a dozen paying passengers on a B747 to send a wake up call!
 But remember Cactus had a Pacific Rim strategery in the early 90s.  While
they were turned down for Tokyo, Nagoya was available and Ed Beauvais was
anxious to cross the International Dateline.  It was a disaster and one of the
reasons AmWest filed for BK protection (the Gulf War being the major reason).  The
747s went away and so did Ed Beauvais.  Don't look for Doug Parker to make
such boneheaded moves. Their new service to Costa Rica is well thought out and
will be a money maker!!

RT Simpson
Phoenix