Re: SF Gate: United Airlines to resume full trans-Pacific services next month

In a message dated 8/27/2003 10:56:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mgreenwood@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 I heard that UA was going to be subbing 747s for 777s because the lease
 costs on 747s are so low these days that they can get them for less than
 they are paying for 777s.

 Any truth in this? >>

would be smart.  Considering their Pacific load factors, they might actually
make money on PAX.  Plus they can carry more cargo, which apparently means a
hell of a lot more than us.  You know, this goes back to the DC-3.  That was
the first plane that was profitable as just a PAX carrier, not UA cannot make
money with the most efficient planes ever on their PAX loads.  Also, UA owns
more of their 747s outright.  I believe they even paid cash for 2 of them.