SF Gate: Airline humor Web site stays aloft with first-class laughs

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/08=
/24/TR258889.DTL

Sunday, August 24, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
Airline humor Web site stays aloft with first-class laughs
Harry Shattuck

   Folks in Dayton, Ohio, where Wilbur and Orville Wright resided most of
their lives, are understandably consumed with commemorations of their
hometown heroes' historic first flight 100 years ago above a North
Carolina sand dune.
   And a highlight of this yearlong celebration is "Inventing Flight," a
series of special events that continued through July 20 in Dayton. (See
www.inventingflight.com for details.)
   It's all a joke, however, to Tim Bete, a humor columnist and co-director
of the University of Dayton's Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop.
   Not that Bete doesn't appreciate the significance of Orville and Wilbur's
accomplishments. But during a planning session for "Inventing Flight," he
told me by telephone, "Someone mentioned that the Wright Brothers had a
sense of humor. And, of course, Erma Bombeck helped so many of us laugh
through a lot of tough times."
   What better way to honor the aviation pioneers and the late
columnist/author Bombeck, a University of Dayton alumnus, than to
establish a Web site dedicated to airline humor, Bete determined. And to
spark interest, why not sponsor a contest to solicit jokes about the
industry.
   "It's clear airlines have a sense of humor," Bete reasoned. "Just look at
the meals they serve. The food is bad but at least there's not a lot of
it."
   Thus, www.flighthumor.org was born. The contest was announced. And Bete,
whose multiple roles at the university are demanding enough, figured it
would be a fun diversion requiring only a small percentage of his spare
time.
   Surprise! The Web site has attracted more than 16,000 visitors. The
contest lured almost 300 entries. Even now that the winners have been
named, people are still sending jokes, Bete said. "In the beginning, we
thought this would be a one-time thing (in conjunction with the
centennial). But we may have to keep it going."
   Bete, the father of three fliers under age 8 and a self-professed expert
at "changing diapers in airplane rest rooms," assembled a panel of seven
humor columnists who judged entries in three categories -- true passenger
story, true pilot story and original joke.
   The first-place winner for passenger story was Jim Murray from St. Paul,
Minn., who wrote, "On a flight from Anchorage to Tokyo, the flight
engineer went back into the passenger cabin. An elderly woman stopped him
and asked him what the temperature was.
   " 'It's 70 degrees, madam,' he replied, adding, 'But outside, it's 30
degrees below zero.' "
   " 'Young man,' the woman demanded. 'What were you doing outside?' "
   Second place went to Dana Dunlevy of Florham Park, N.J., who wrote,
"During the descent of a flight to Florida, my 18-month-old son's ears
began to bother him. I handed him a baby bottle of water, saying, 'This
will make your ears feel better.'
   "He looked uncomprehendingly at the bottle, then at me, and back at the
bottle. With a shrug of his shoulders -- exhibiting total trust in what
his mother said -- he lifted the bottle and stuck the nipple right in his
ear."
   For sheer volume, I liked an "original joke" entry by second-place
finisher Lee Murdock from Grand Forks, N.D.
   "Since I am an infrequent flier, I have several questions that may seem a
bit naive but still cry out for answers," Murdock's entry began:
   "Do 7:47 and 7:27 planes fly at any other times?
   "Can I exchange my round-trip ticket for one that is rectangular so that
it fits better in my carry-on bag?
   "Does the overhead storage cover one's eyes?
   "If I fly a DC 10 can I still use my AC razor?
   "Isn't it dangerous to make sure the passengers are loaded before takeof=
f?
   "If I happen to be in the head (bathroom) when the 'Fasten Seat Belt' si=
gn
comes on, can my wife do it for me?
   "My wife wants to know if a mud pack can be substituted for an oxygen
mask?"
   These and several other entries are included on the Web site, which also
features humor columns by Bete and others.
   Nonwinners elicit a chuckle, too, including this from Leigh Anne Jasheaw=
ay
from Eugene, Ore.: "I hate flying on small commuter planes. Especially
when you walk up to the ticket counter and they have a box on the floor
that says, 'If your hips don't fit in this box, you're too big for our
ride.' "
   Kat Lively of Norfolk, Va., reminded about things you don't want to hear
on an airplane. Among them:
   "Are you going to use your barf bag?"
   "Where do you suppose this giant bolt came from?"
   And "Hey, Kathie Lee Gifford's in first class. And she's going to sing f=
or
us."
   "While we picked two winners in each category, we don't like to consider
the other entries losers," Bete said. "Our official position is that our
contest was overbooked and some entries were bumped.
   "We apologize for the inconvenience and hope those who didn't win will f=
ly
with us again someday."

   Harry Shattuck is the travel editor of the Houston Chronicle. John Flinn
is on assignment.=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle