Re: Branson is coming

Most airline national policies are carry-overs from Keynesian
influenced economic theory evolving from Lenin of all-folks.

The premise is that the 'nation' should retain control over the
'commanding heights' of an economy; industries (national airlines,
coal/steel, rail transportation, telephone companies) should remain
wards of the state. As well, the 'state' was usually the only entity
capable of raising the capital necessary to finance such 'heights.'

America had a perversion to this. While the government rarely got
involved in owning such business' the regulation surrounding those
industries provided the same result. i.e. British Airways being owned
by the british government, v.s. the U.S. government creating the CAB
and keeping AA/DL/NW/PA/UA pretty much healthy and for PA & NW, the US'
ambassadors to the world.

Of course, the last twenty years have seen a dismantling of this
concept, but remnants remain including America's (and Canada's) airline
ownership clauses.

Matthew