NYTimes.com Article: Blackout Problems Linger for Travelers

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Blackout Problems Linger for Travelers

August 15, 2003
 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:55 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Lingering power outages grounded
airplanes and halted trains Friday, a day after a massive
blackout in the eastern United States and southern Canada
snarled transportation systems.

Hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed. The airports
in New York, Cleveland, Detroit, Newark, N.J., Toronto and
Ottawa were hardest hit. Amtrak train service from
Washington to Boston was disrupted, and traffic was tied up
in areas where stop lights remained out.

Two European women who had worked as camp counselors in
Maine spent Thursday night in a terminal at Newark Liberty
International Airport. Claire Tierney, 21, of Galway,
Ireland, and her friend, Sophie Alcock, 20, of Nannerch,
Wales, awoke Friday to learn their flight to San Francisco
was delayed 26 hours.

Nakisha Nesmith, 24, of Los Angeles, flew on Friday morning
from Brazil. Her plane was diverted to Newark from New
York's John F. Kennedy Airport, and she missed her
connection to the West Coast.

``We have no idea when we're leaving,'' Nesmith said.

At
New York's LaGuardia and Kennedy airports and in Detroit
passengers faced longer security lines because metal
detectors and X-ray and explosive-detection machines were
without power. Travelers were screened for weapons with
hand-held wands, and their luggage was searched by hand.

All of Kennedy and most of LaGuardia were operating on
emergency power, said William DeCota, aviation director for
the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Newark is
operating normally.

American Airlines said it hoped to resume service at
Kennedy and LaGuardia by Friday evening and in Detroit on
Saturday. American was among airlines hardest hit by the
blackout, with 400 flights canceled by late Friday. Its
commuter airline, American Eagle, canceled 93 flights on
Friday.

When the blackout hit Thursday, American halted operations
at 11 airports in the northeast United States and Canada
and diverted about 30 flights away from the Northeast,
mostly planes from the Caribbean, Latin America and Europe.

Air Canada suspended all of its operations for about nine
hours Friday because of power problems at its operations
control center in Ontario. Flight operations were back to
normal by late afternoon.

Travelers were urged to call their airline or go online to
check the status of their fight before heading to the
airport. The Transportation Security Administration advised
travelers to arrive at least two hours before the scheduled
departure.

Amtrak ran fewer trains between Washington and New York's
Penn Station and limited service to Upstate New York. Train
service out of Boston was to resume Friday night with the
departure of the 10 p.m. ``Federal'' to Washington, the
company said. Amtrak had previously restored train travel
into and out of New York City.

``We expect full, normal service (Saturday) in the
Northeast,'' Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said.

New York City's subways were out of service for the morning
rush hour, but the Port Authority of New York and New
Jersey ran its trains under the Hudson River into Manhattan
from New Jersey. There was limited service into the city
from Long Island.

Dan Weiss, a stockbroker from Mount Vernon, N.Y., was one
of four people waiting for a commuter train that wasn't
coming.

``I thought I'd give it my best effort,'' he said. ``This
way I can tell them I tried. If a train comes, it comes. If
not I go home.''

New York City's bridges and tunnels were open, but bus
service was running at about 25 percent of normal capacity
and some traffic lights still did not work by mid-afternoon
Friday.

In Michigan, the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel reopened after
being closed when the power went out. Traffic congestion
was a problem in some areas.

``Everywhere you go, the traffic's all backed up,'' said
Brian Howse, a production supervisor from Redford Township,
Mich.

Traffic was lighter than usual in Cleveland, with many
workers getting an unexpected day off. But darkened traffic
lights caused some tie-ups on freeway ramps and
intersections for those who did go to work.

``I have no water and no lights, so I might as well come to
work,'' attorney Lori Zocolo said.

^------

On the Net:

FAA real-time flight delays: http://www.fly.faa.gov

Amtrak: http://www.amtrak.com

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Blackout-Transportation.html?ex=1061997846&ei=1&en=ab1e36ed62e5b7a9

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company