NYTimes.com Article: Fishing for Blues, Strolling Among Jumbo Jets

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Fishing for Blues, Strolling Among Jumbo Jets

August 13, 2003
 By COREY KILGANNON

"I need to get my raft back," Joel Phagoo said to the
police officer at Kennedy International Airport yesterday
evening.

The Port Authority Police officer looked up and groaned,
recognizing Mr. Phagoo as the 21-year-old college student
from Brooklyn who was all over the news yesterday.

Mr. Phagoo and his young brother and cousin had washed up
on airport property Sunday night while they were fishing in
an inflatable raft in the waters near the runways. They
roamed the airport's active runways, next to jumbo jets
waiting for takeoff, arousing concerns that security at the
airport still left a lot to be desired.

Police officers did not meet the three fishermen until they
wandered into the airport's main police station, Mr. Phagoo
said. Clearly, these were three scared young fishermen, not
terrorists devising new ways to make mischief.

Satisfied yesterday that Mr. Phagoo and his fishing
partners posed no risk, police officers handed over the
three fishing rods, one tackle box and a very smelly rubber
raft that had been impounded Sunday night.

Opened clams used for bait were stuck to the bottom of the
raft, attracting flies. Mr. Phagoo, a civil engineering
student, packed the equipment into the trunk of his
friend's car and talked readily about how he and his
companions had roamed the runways unimpeded.

"There were jumbo jets with their lights on, just waiting
there," he said. "You could walk right up and touch them if
you wanted." He said he had expected that they would be
picked up by SWAT-type units soon after they landed.
Instead, they walked the runways for 75 minutes looking for
help.

"After we realized no one was going to come up and ask us
what we were doing there, we knew we had to find them
ourselves," he said. "You hear stuff about all these safety
precautions and the terror alert being so high, and we're
there walking around in an airport we didn't even know how
we got into."

It all started after dinner Sunday evening, when Mr. Phagoo
took his brother, Josh, and their cousin, Amit Sinanan,
both 13, fishing in Jamaica Bay. They launched their
12-foot-long raft from Bayswater Park south of Kennedy
Airport and began fishing in a nearby channel where the
planes soar low overhead, and the stripers and blues start
biting at dusk.

Using clam bellies as bait, Josh landed a 17-inch bluefish
that jumped clean out of the water after being hooked. The
wind and the current began picking up, though, and by
sunset the raft was swept away from the park and toward a
pier at the end of Runway 4. The young men paddled
furiously but the wind took the raft in circles. The
younger youths wore life jackets but were poor swimmers,
Mr. Phagoo said, and they were scared. Still, they managed
to tie the raft to the pier and walk onto the runway area.
About 10:30 p.m., they walked into the police station,
waterlogged and smelling like bait.

"The police were shocked," said Mr. Phagoo, who moved to
Brooklyn from Trinidad eight years ago with his family and
has applied for United States citizenship. "They wanted to
know what we were doing there." They told their story and
were held for three hours while officers verified it and
picked up the fishing rods and tackle. None of the
fishermen were charged.

"It's trespassing if you go where you don't belong," a
police inspector at the airport told Mr. Phagoo yesterday,
"not if you're swept there by the forces of nature."

Pasquale DiFulco, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New
York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, said
yesterday that an investigation into the security lapse was
being conducted and that steps would be taken to tighten
security.

"We take security very seriously, and what happened on
Sunday was unacceptable," he said. "You can't erect a
10-foot fence around the perimeter, but we are taking steps
so that what took place doesn't repeat, on any level."

Mr. Phagoo and his friend, Valmicky Samlal, loaded the
smelly raft into the back of Mr. Samlal's blue Neon. The
windshield decal read: "One Slick Trini."

"Sorry," a police officer said, "we couldn't save your
bluefish."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/13/nyregion/13RAFT.html?ex=1061783820&ei=1&en=469819dce63e38bb

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company