Re: Piedmont/US Air, Request

Not a dumb question.

There's two codes used for airlines from 3 different organizations - ICAO
(International Civil Aviation Organization) uses 3 letter codes.  The IATA
(International Air Transport Association) and ATA (American Transportation
Association) both use 2 character codes.

The 3 letter codes are used on flight plans and other Air Traffic Control
functions.  The 2 character codes are used in airline reservation systems,
timetables, etc.  Originally it was 2 letters allowing for up to 676
combinations.  Some combinations, I think, aren't used.  Once they ran out
of 2 letter codes, they went to 1 letter/1 number and 1 number/1 letter
codes, allowing for even more combinations.

An interesting sideline.  It is possible for 2 airlines to have the same 2
letter code, provided the airlines have no possibility of flying in each
other's territories.  For example, Uncle Joe's Airline and Garage Door
Company may fly flights with a Cessna 172 in only the state of Arizona while
David's Big Bad Airline flies larger aircraft but flies only in Australia.
The two airlines do not have areas where both companies fly so they could be
assigned the same 2 letter code.

The plan, at least at one time, was for all airlines to have 3 letter codes
but that seems to be more of a pipe dream.  No one wants to change all the
computer programs to accommodate 3 letters.
David R
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/books.html