Re: SF Gate: No-frills, low-cost airlines are fast gaining ground

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 05:41  PM, Alireza Alivandivafa wrote:
> They offer econ plus domestically?  Also, if you are at all quick, you
> will
> never get a middle seat with WN.  Besides, they are the only ones that
> do that.
>  F7, B6 and AirTran all assign seats, and provide better service.
> Frontier
> even still serves food.

There is Economy Plus on many (most?) UA domestic flights; I got it on
UA18 SFO-JFK a few weeks ago.  Though eyeballing the seat pitch there
did not seem to be much difference.  That was on a new-ish 767-300 with
the new seat-back entertainment consoles, choice of movies, AirShow
(the moving map and flight info), and tasty meal.  No Ch. 9, though;
that was used for some entertainment channel.   On the return it was
the opposite: an aging 767-200 (there was Econ Plus but I didn't get
it), no seat-back console, old seating, but did have Ch. 9.

Didn't know Frontier still had food.  Are you sure?  My girlfriend has
been doing some various flying on Frontier over the last while, and she
has not yet encountered food, at least not in/out of Denver.

As for WN, the dreaded-middle-seat scenario comes up when you have to
make a connection (yes, there are connections on Southwest!) and your
inbound is late, and most everyone has boarded the connecting flight.
Or, in my case, when flying with the GF, where she just *has* to have a
window seat. :-).

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx