SF Gate: United hit by loss in quarter/Fewer passengers and restructuring costs are factors

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/08=
/02/BU278441.DTL

Saturday, August 2, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
United hit by loss in quarter/Fewer passengers and restructuring costs are =
factors
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Hammered by declining passenger traffic and weighed down by restructuring
costs, bankrupt United Airlines, the nation's second-largest carrier,
suffered a $623 million loss in the second quarter.
   Without $300 million in federal compensation for security expenses relat=
ed
to the Iraq war, United's drop, which amounted to a loss of $6.26 per
share, would have topped $900 million, according to UAL Corp., the
airline's parent company. Operating revenue fell 18 percent to $3.11
billion from $3.79 billion a year ago.
   United, the dominant carrier at San Francisco International Airport with
about half of all passengers and flights, has lost about $6 billion since
late 2000, largely because of the tepid economy and the terrorist attacks
of Sept. 11, 2001. The war in Iraq and the springtime emergence of severe
acute respiratory syndrome also hurt United and generated the worst
business crisis on record for the aviation industry.
   Low-cost carriers Southwest Airlines, JetBlue Airways and ATA Airlines
bucked the trend and reported profits in the second quarter. American
Airlines,
   the world's largest carrier, lost $75 million, while third-largest
carrier, Delta Air Lines reported $184 million in profits, but only
because of federal aid.
   United, in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since December, attributed i=
ts
latest loss to an 11 percent decline in passenger traffic from the same
period a year ago, as the airline cut capacity by 14 percent.
   Despite the red ink, United said it saw signs of a recovery in June -- t=
he
last month of the quarter -- and met its debtor-in-possession financing
targets. The airline said it still plans to emerge from bankruptcy late
this year or early next year.
   The company, located in Elk Grove, Ill., said it has trimmed labor costs
by 30 percent after revising contracts with its employee unions.
   "The second quarter began as a severe challenge for United and the
industry as a whole, but we saw a particularly positive trend as we moved
though the period," said Glenn Tilton, UAL's chief executive officer.
   "We realized a 4 percent improvement in domestic passenger unit revenue
for June over the same period last year," Tilton said in a prepared
statement. "We also achieved a large decrease in our labor and other costs
as we continue to implement our various cost-reduction initiatives."
   United has reconfigured operations in the Bay Area, where it employed 20,
000 people two years ago. It now employs 15,000 here, a UAL spokesman
said, including several hundred mechanics who transferred from a
maintenance facility at Oakland International Airport to a larger plant at
SFO. United closed the Oakland facility on June 30.
   In addition to making other cost-savings moves such as renegotiating
aircraft leasing contracts, United has talked off and on for months about
starting its own low-fare carrier. Code-named Starfish, it would use 40
planes from United's existing fleet, the company said last month. A United
spokesman refused further comment.
   United said its day-to-day performance improved in the second quarter. O=
n-
time departure was the best in United's history at 76.9 percent, and
customer complaints were down. United restored earlier cuts in its
transatlantic service June 2 and will restore transpacific cuts by Sept.
3.
   E-mail David Armstrong at davidarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle