Re: It's a Bird ... It's a Plane ... It's Southwest Airlines in a New A&E Network Do

From: "Jim Fulton" <jim.fulton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 7:43 AM

> Sorry for the Offtopic, to correct Gerry, the "Government Subsidies" to
the
> BBC aren't really. As a result of historical developments, the BBC is
funded
> by a TV licence, which all owners of TVs in the UK must buy, whether they
> watch the BBC or not. Currently it costs about 110 pounds, or $160 US a
year
> for a licence, and about a third of that for those who own a black and
white
> TV.

<snip>
I'm sorry too, Jim, but the UK TV license fee sounds very much like a tax to
me, and turning it over to a single corporation sounds a lot like a
government subsidy.

I also like the BBC.  Sometimes I wish we had something similar, but then I
think about American politicians!!!  American businessmen are bad enough.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://members.fortunecity.com/gfoley/egypt/egypt.html