Re: ACA vs. UA: David Fights Back

At 11:37 AM 7/28/2003 -0700, John Kurtzke wrote:
>Nick is thinking about Atlantic Coast's actions; I'm thinking about
>United's. Hasn't anyone at United wandered down to the hell-hole at B-22
>and tried to take a United Express flight anywhere? Let alone connect
>to/from a United flight? Yes, I know there are two different oufits down
>there "operating" as United Express, and there was another one before, but
>I don't think it makes any difference. My siblings & parents reported a
>different experience with Atlantic Coast out of Dulles -- maybe it was
>just luck, maybe not, but I don't think Dulles wins any prizes over O'Hare.

We're talking about ORD's B22, not IAD's, right? :-) As a matter of fact I
was through there Sunday night a week ago, for an ORD-IAD flight. B19-B22
at ORD no longer is the commuter terminal it once was. I remember seeing my
wife off on the ORD-SBN flights from there a year or two ago, and you're
right, having to get there to get a connection was a royal pain. Now it's
just four more gates for mainline UA flights. I presume they've
consolidated the regional traffic in D or E, but I haven't confirmed that.

IAD has a minor variant of the same problem. Most of the UE (ACA) flights
are out of B1-B6, which was built for that purpose in the last four or five
years. At one point they were still using some of the commuter gates in the
landside building, now known as "K" concourse. I hope those K gates are
being phased out; they're at least as inconvenient as the ORD set-up.

At 11:25 AM 7/28/2003 -1000, David Meuller wrote:
>On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 01:43  AM, Nick Laflamme wrote:
>>JetBlue is the obvious competitor for the terrain north of Dulles, but
>>I'm not sure how well they can serve short thin routes with their A320s.
>>Then again, they can easily grow with longer routes than ACA can think about.
>
>Don't forget B6's EMB 190 order, but it will be a while before these are
>delivered.

I was thinking of the EMB 190s when I made the comment about short thin
routes. :-) ACA's experiment will be the death of them or have proven
viable by the time the EMB 190s are on-line for B6.

Nick