NYTimes.com Article: Low-Cost Airlines Become Big Spenders

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Low-Cost Airlines Become Big Spenders

July 22, 2003
 By EDWARD WONG

Like lottery winners unleashed on Fifth Avenue, low-cost
airlines in the United States and Europe are snapping up
planes at a frenzied pace. They want to grow, and they want
to grow fast.

Among the shoppers are AirTran Airways of Orlando, Fla.,
which ordered 50 Boeing 737's on June 30, and Britain's
easyJet, which in October said it was buying 120 Airbus
A320's.

By volume, such deals by this new generation of carriers
involve some of the biggest aircraft sales in years.
Low-cost airlines accounted for 61 percent of narrow-body
jet orders so far this year and 75 percent last year, for a
total of 385 planes. In 2001, the rate was just 15.5
percent, or only 39 jets, according to Back Aviation
Solutions, an industry consulting firm.

Executives say the planes are needed to fuel double-digit
capacity expansion over the next several years. That in
turn is crucial to capturing market share and meeting
increasing demand, they say. But given the generally
eviscerated state of air travel, are the low-cost airlines
trying to grow too quickly?

At Ryanair, the Irish discount carrier that is adding seats
at a faster rate than any other European airline, the
percentage of filled seats has dipped this year. Chris
Avery, a J. P. Morgan Chase analyst, downgraded its stock
rating July 14, citing a "weaker earnings growth year"
because of "excessive capacity expansion."

In the United States, the economic downturn is so serious
that Southwest Airlines, the world's most profitable
carrier ever, is tempering its growth even as younger
low-cost peers push ahead with ambitious expansion plans.

Though industry experts and former executives say the
growth rates could be manageable, given both the current
trends in passenger spending and the track record of
executives at the low-cost airlines, they also warn of
possible pitfalls.

"The People Express issue is still relevant in the sense
that some of these guys could be lured into a
higher-than-rational growth environment," said Robert W.
Mann, an industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y.,
referring to the no-frills upstart of the 1980's that
foundered after expanding too quickly.

But Mr. Mann added: "I have always felt there was an
insatiable desire for travel at the right price. In that
sense, as long as they can continue to produce travel in
popular markets at the right price, the sky's the limit."

Donald Burr, the founder of People Express, said that the
three interrelated problems that hampered his airline -
too-rapid expansion, hubris from the company's initial
success and lack of proper information technology - could
spell the downfall of companies in the current start-up
crop if they are not cautious.

"One has to be very careful about managing success," said
Mr. Burr, who still follows the industry. "When you're very
successful, you've really got to get your paranoia up."

There is little doubt anymore that low-cost airlines not
only are here to stay, but have also become the
trendsetters of the industry, pushing air travel in
directions that the traditional carriers are struggling to
follow.

Industry experts say this is only the beginning of a huge
change in air travel that was set off a quarter-century ago
by American deregulation. But the very success of the
low-cost business model - and consequently its popularity
among entrepreneurs - makes the environment more cutthroat
than when Southwest started in the 1970's.

With so many low-cost airlines popping up and expanding
quickly, the number of routes where they compete is
increasing. In the Los Angeles market, for example,
Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue Airways already overlap on
several routes.

In Europe, low-cost airlines are growing even faster and
struggling to maintain success.

Ryanair shook up investors this month when it reported that
its planes were only 79 percent full in June, versus 88
percent a year earlier. Michael O'Leary, the chief
executive, warned that for the full year the airline's load
factor - or percentage of seats filled - would drop to
about 80 percent, from 85 percent in 2002.

Nevertheless, the airline is moving ahead with its sweeping
growth plans. The company has ordered 125 737's from Boeing
since the start of 2002, with an option for 125 more. It
will take delivery of 18 jets this fiscal year and intends
to increase capacity by 60 percent over the period, as well
as by 20 to 25 percent a year for the next several years,
said Sean Coyle, a company spokesman. Part of that, Mr.
Coyle said, will come from entering more airports in Europe
- it currently operates out of four on the Continent - and
adding 20 to 30 routes a year.

"It's part of the long-term plan; nothing has really
changed from a growth perspective for Ryanair," Mr. Coyle
said. "I don't think there's any question that this year's
growth rate in terms of capacity is large. From a safety
perspective, we have it well under control. From a
financial management perspective, we have it well under
control."

But some industry experts are asking about the capital
outlay that will be required for Ryanair's expansion. And
they are watching the growing competition across Europe -
most obviously from easyJet, which is also in a rapid
expansion mode, having ordered 120 A320's last year and
aiming for capacity growth of 25 percent a year until 2007.
Newer low-cost airlines are also emerging in markets that
Ryanair wants to enter, including cities in Central and
Eastern Europe.

"When I look at guys who are growing very fast and may have
trouble, I look across the water to a guy like Ryanair,"
said Mr. Mann, the industry consultant. "He's growing very
rapidly, he's got an apparent appetite for new airplanes.
He's going to a lot of different markets, adding
complexity."

But Mr. Mann added that the opportunities for expansion are
larger in Europe than in the United States because
deregulation is at an early stage in most countries there.

Daniel Solon, an industry analyst for Avmark International
in Barcelona, Spain, said that capacity growth rates for
Ryanair and easyJet looked reasonable, given the steady
delivery schedule of their aircraft orders. Ryanair has
spread delivery of its 125 Boeing jets from this year to
2009, while easyJet will take delivery of its 120 Airbus
planes until 2007. Mr. Solon added that it made sense for
the airlines to take advantage of the current slump in
airplane sales to major carriers to negotiate favorable
deals with Boeing and Airbus.

Low-cost airlines on this side of the Atlantic have also
placed major orders recently, though not as large as those
in Europe. In mid-June, Jet- Blue signed up for 100
regional jets from Embraer of Brazil. Two months earlier,
it ordered 65 Airbus A320's. It said its capacity would
grow 55 to 60 percent this year.

AirTran plans to increase capacity by 25 percent a year for
the next few years with the 50 737's and six 717's it just
ordered from Boeing. Its current fleet - 64 717's and 8
DC-9's - has limited flying range. The 737's will allow it
to add transcontinental routes and possibly service to
Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean.

"We still think it's very controlled growth," said Joseph
Leonard, AirTran's chief executive. "If we find we're
growing too fast, we'll slow it down. We will not outgrow
our profitability."

Southwest has chosen not to increase its capacity as
quickly as either AirTran or JetBlue. For one thing,
Southwest is already much larger than either of the
upstarts. Besides, Herbert D. Kelleher, Southwest's
legendary founder, has always preached measured growth.

>From 1991 through 2000, Southwest increased its capacity by
an average of 14 percent a year. That slowed to 9 percent
in 2001, 5 percent in 2002 and will most likely be 4
percent this year. The company said yesterday that it would
speed up plane deliveries next year and increase capacity
by 6 to 7 percent.

"We need to grow at a pace that we feel we can manage and
that the current economic environment can support,
regardless of what our competition is doing," said Gary C.
Kelly, Southwest's chief financial officer. "If we can grow
faster comfortably, then we'll do that."

Southwest, though, will inevitably end up competing more
and more with other low-cost airlines on some routes as
those carriers expand. It now overlaps directly with three
other low-cost airlines on 14 routes, and that is not
counting metropolitan areas where Southwest and low-cost
rivals fly into separate but nearby airports.

Mr. Burr, the People Express founder, said there were
lessons to be learned from the implosion of his company.
Capacity grew at an average rate of 137 percent a year from
People Express's start in 1981 to 1985. But its load factor
fell from 74.6 percent in 1983 to 69.8 percent the next
year. In 1986, when People Express was sold to Continental
Airlines, the load factor was 58.6 percent.

Contributing to his airline's decline, Mr. Burr said, was
the reluctance of executives, guided by early success, to
change anything about their product, even as rivals were
thinking up new ways to steal market share.

"The public wants an improved product all the time," he
said. "People Express didn't refresh its product. The
minute you think you're going to produce a commodity
product at the lowest possible price, someone else will
come along and produce that, but give people a better
product. They'll have better on-time performance, ticket
you better, give you TV or whatever."

Mr. Burr also said People Express's computers were not
sophisticated enough to deal with frequent-flier programs
or a complex ticket pricing strategy called yield
management that American Airlines popularized in the
mid-80's. American quickly moved in for the kill, taking
out ads that said it was matching People Express's fares in
all markets where the two competed. Almost overnight, Mr.
Burr said, his airline's percentage of filled seats
plummeted.

These days, though, the traditional carriers are in no
shape to knock anyone out. United is trying to restructure
in bankruptcy court, American is struggling to avoid a trip
there, and their biggest competitors are desperately
flailing away. And in the short term, at least, the growth
of low-cost airlines will more likely than not leave the
old guard with another round of bruises and black eyes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/22/business/22AIR.html?ex=1059880705&ei=1&en=706a4b0f159ecdd4

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company