From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Nick Laflamme
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 1:22 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Teddy Bears, Guns, and Airport Security: An Expose'

>WASHINGTON (CNN) --Screeners at a passenger checkpoint at the Orlando
>International Airport last Friday found a loaded handgun hidden inside a
>stuffed teddy bear belonging to a 10-year-old boy, the Transportation
>Security Administration has told CNN.
>
>The boy was part of a family of five that had been on vacation in Orlando
>and was returning home to Ohio, the TSA said.
>
>"The family reported it had been given to the child at a hotel in Orlando
>two days earlier," TSA spokesman Robert Johnson said.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't pass the smell test. A 10-year-old with a teddy
bear? That a stranger gave him? That just happens to have a stolen gun in
it?

How about we try this instead:

"Honey, how do I get this neat new gun back to Ohio if we're flying?"

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe we can smuggle it back, maybe in a stuffed teddy
bear we give Junior. The guards wouldn't hassle a 10-year-old's stuffed
bear, would they? I mean, he doesn't look like a terrorist at all! We'll
just tell Junior that if he's busted, he's to say that a stranger gave him
the bear."

>"We are critized a lot for screening grannies and babies: 'Why are they
>checking this? My two-year old isn't a terrorist.' This underscores the
>need to screen everyone and everything," said Johnson.

I'd say so, but I'm one of them whacko leftists, so what do I know? :-)

>Federal screeners have made two other catches recently. In Hartford,
>Connecticut, screeners stopped a man who had slipped a knife down the back
>of a six-year-old child's shirt to try to slip it past security, Johnson
said.

>Also at that airport, screeners stopped a 67-year-old man who had hollowed
>out his prosthetic leg to conceal a nine-inch knife in a scabbard.
>
>Both were arrested, Johnson said.
>
>"These sorts of things make the point that we need to screen everything,"
he
>said. "We can't allow terrorists any opportunity."

Even though these three incidents aren't directly related to terrorist
threats, they reinforce my belief that no one should be immune to screening.