Re: Airbus question

Grant McKenzie <gjmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>As an aside, de Havilland gave an immense amount of  design data
>and assistance to Sud Aviation when they were building the Caravelle,
>so much so that the nose cone is virtually identical to that of the >Com=
et
1 and the flight deck is very similar.

   It goes even a bit further than this. The cockpit sections
for the first few aircraft were bought straight off De Havilland's
Comet production line. Once series production of the Caravelle
got underway, further nose sections were built by Sud Aviation
(as far as I know). And later versions of the Caravelle had larger
cockpit windows, thereby reducing the similarity to the Comet.
                             Kees de Lezenne Coulander
-- =

  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Hoofddorp, The Netherlands

  =