RJ Myth?

I've noticed the following statement repeated several times recently
about the use of RJs by airlines:

 > Several of North America's largest airlines have used
 > regional jets to bypass congested airport hubs and
 > offer rapid point-to-point service between mid-sized cities.

I can't think of a 'large' airline (top 10?) that use RJs to bypass
their hubs.

At last check, United does have Air Wisconsin doing a Madison, WI -->
Minneapolis, MN run?

Can anyone think of a circumstance where this is true?

Matthew