AA cuts STL by 50%

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/D8A45CED0D014F8786256D660013E963?OpenDocument&Headline=AA+slashes+operations+here

"...American, in conjunction with its American Eagle and AmericanConnection
carriers, will cut its daily departures to 207 from 417. That means St.
Louis travelers on American will have to go through Chicago or Dallas to
reach many cities now served by nonstop flights."

Anyone with  educated guess as to how long STL will continue to exist as a
"hub" for AA?

Are there any major carriers still operating "hubs" with as few as ~200
departures/day in the USA?

The poor, tired, old carcass of TWA and their long-suffering employees
should have been taken off life support long ago and allowed to die in peace
and dignity, instead of the death of a thousand slices to which they were
subjected.

I remember my first flight on TWA at age 8 (back when they were known as
KC's hometown airline).  We flew out of out MKC (MCI was barely even a dream
at this point).  We departed rwy 19 (all 7,002 ft of it) in a B707 headed to
LA.  You wore a suit & tie (even at age 8).  It was a big deal.

Today I take WN to LAS (wearing cutoffs and a polo shirt) for under $200RT.
They're nice.  They're on-time.  They make a profit.  Progress isn't all
bad, it's just that the trip is sometimes painful.  Oh well.

Steve in Kansas City
Fan of Southwest Airlines and all that they stand for.