Re: Airbus question

From: "Peter Schneider" <Peter.Schneider@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:33 AM

> All airliners are boring these days!!  The design computers always throw
> out basically the same shape and layout for who ever makes it.  What ever
> happened to the 'T' tail design on airliners (not commuter jets)

As I understand it, it's basically undesirable from a control point of view.
It has to be used if the engines are mounted aft on the fuselage.  I suspect
that the control moments would be too much affected by engine thrust if the
horizontal stabilizer were close to the engine exhaust gas stream.

One disadvantage is that the horizontal stabilizer is blanketed by the wing
at high angles of attack.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley