From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Matthew Montano
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 12:21 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: jetBlue's New Deal

HMY (never understood the name) Airways is run by a (everyone please =
correct
facts and names, as I'm poor at them) Vancouver based David Ho. He is
originally from Hong Kong and has done very well with a variety of =
business'
including MCL Motorcars, the prime retailer of Mercedes products in the
Vancouver area.

The story goes that one day on holiday, he was flying a charter and just =
got
quite upset at the poor service and told him self to start an airline.

HMY Airways is the result.

Rumor has it that the 757s they fly are brand new and he's looking to
acquire a 777 to do flights to Asia.

Market wise, they appear to be trying to fill a niche that Canada 3000 =
had.
Current flights are from Edmonton and Vancouver to a few Mexican
destinations on charter business, and flights to Toronto and LAX (from
Vancouver) on a scheduled basis.

Current marketing messages:
  - you get food on HMY flights to Toronto (unappetizing picture of
miniature steak)
  - Jackie Chan (the action actor, and personal friend of the owner) is =
an
honorary Captain.

I wish him luck, as it is another prod in the eye of Air Canada.

Matthew

On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 02:40  AM, Alireza Alivandivafa wrote:

> I guessed that Neelman and Westjet had an icy relationship when I saw=20
> no reference to him on the Westjet website, though Morris Air is
> mentioned.  I think
> they saw this as something good for both.
> What exactly is HMY's mission?  I saw one of their planes at LAX on
> Tuesday,
> at Bradley (where they don't need to go with the pre-clearence thing =
in
> Canada).  Had never heard of them
>
> In a message dated 7/9/2003 5:07:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
> lrtully@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << My recollection of Mr. Neelman's departure
>  from Westjet was not exactly harmonious -
>  I seem to recall that he and Mr. Beddoe did
>  not see eye to eye on the subject of the low
>  cost carrier model etc., plus a few internal
>  issues. I guess it's good to see that they have
>   "renewed" their relationship - it is the
>  customers who will benefit from that relationship
>  in the immediate future - long term, who knows?
>
>  It will be interesting to see how/if Air Canada,
>  Air Transat, HMY etc., responds. IMO,., they
>  have NO choice but to match or beat 'em on
>  domestic routes, in order to maintain market share >>

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
=20

---