NYTimes.com Article: At This Unquiet Park, a Picnic Is Practically an In-Flight Meal

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

At This Unquiet Park, a Picnic Is Practically an In-Flight Meal

July 6, 2003
 By COREY KILGANNON

The physical amenities in Planeview Park, a scruffy little
plot in northwest Queens, are few: three acres of patchy
grass, a dozen meager trees and two trash cans.

But it has an unusual entertainment feature that few other
city parks can match: the air shows that occur whenever
weather conditions permit planes to land on Runway 4 at La
Guardia Airport.

>From its modest bluff overlooking the approach to Runway 4,
the park gets low-flying planes roaring overhead at
two-minute intervals.

"This is your bread and butter if you're a plane buff,"
said John Heaney, 50, a steamfitter from Manhattan who
first began plane-watching in this area as a child with his
family. "Where else can you stand 30 yards below a landing
727?

"You should see it at night. It's like a parade in the sky.
You can count five or six of them lined up like a boulevard
of street lamps, for miles."

The planes begin as a set of small lights descending in the
southern sky past Long Island City. The outline of a plane
takes shape and gets closer and lower over the neat
residential streets of Jackson Heights. Then there is a
large aircraft, usually a passenger jet operated by a major
airline soaring over the Budget rental car agency, with a
growing high-pitch whistle and rumbling roar.

The park has become more popular since security has been
tightened, and most parkgoers said they could no longer
watch planes from inside airports.

For the uninitiated, the unusually low altitude is not a
comforting sight, especially nowadays, and there is a
palpable urge to flee.

The propeller planes putt-putt by, but a large jet creates
a tail breeze that upsets a clump of nearby trees. The
plane passes over the Grand Central Parkway and glides down
to Runway 4, leaving wispy vapor trails in its wake. To the
south, another set of lights approaches.

Planeview Park runs along Ditmars Boulevard, from 83rd to
85th Streets, and is directly across the parkway from
Marine Air Terminal at La Guardia. According to a small
wooden sign fastened to its flimsy chain-link fence, the
park was created to take advantage of the open land that
must be kept clear around runways.

It attracts aviation aficionados who take photographs and
rattle off make and model numbers. There are also aspiring
aviators who listen to the flight pattern play-by-play on
their air-traffic scanners, much like the fans who take
radios to the ballpark. Students at the nearby College of
Aeronautics go to the park between classes.

Some parkgoers describe a visceral charge from watching the
planes, much like the rush of watching a Nascar race.
Others say they almost get an escape from the city's hustle
and bustle by submitting to a stronger dose of it.

Against the constant backdrop of parkway traffic, families
picnic, working people drink beer and young people park
curbside to smoke or neck. The plane-watching also provides
inexpensive entertainment for homeless families at the
nearby Kings Inn Family Shelter.

Incoming planes fly in over Queens at a 40-degree compass
heading (north by northeast). To parkgoers, this brings
them over the Budget rental car sign across the street.

"To me, this is the coolest park in the city," said Juan
Estrada, 17, who visited the park recently. "You have your
regulars who bring their lawn chairs, and parents bring
their kids. Even though they fly right next to you. And at
night, with their lights on, it's beautiful."

Juan says he hoped to become a pilot. He grew up in Jackson
Heights, where the low-flying plane traffic is so thick
that you either embrace the planes or ignore them.

Another park user, Chris Owens, 20, from Brooklyn, a
student at the College of Aeronautics, said that he grew up
in Long Beach, on Long Island, under a busy flight
corridor. He got hooked after spending summers surfing and
staring up at the planes.

"I'm a cool guy," he said. "I like to hang out and have
fun, but when it comes to planes, I'm the biggest nerd
ever."

A police van had pulled up onto the grass near Mr. Owens
and sat idling. Mr. Owens said that since the terrorist
attack on Sept. 11, 2001, the police had repeatedly
interfered with his practice of photographing planes in
flight near airports. Now, when he goes to the Gateway Bird
Sanctuary, near Kennedy International Airport, to point his
lens at planes, he keeps his "camera in one pocket and a
bird manual in the other, just in case."

"You go to airports in Europe and they have viewing
stands," he said. "Here, they think you're a terrorist. Oh,
that's a Cessna Citation. It's the fastest business jet in
the world."

Kenneth Connolly, 52, a telecommunications inspector from
Woodhaven, Queens, said he began plane-watching here at an
early age.

"My mother used to take me here when I was a baby, over
there at the World's Fair marina," he said. "I remember
when they started bringing jets in, in '58. "I just always
gravitated here. There's something about flying machines,
thousands of tons of steel suspended by nothing but air."

"The only downside is," he said, "every time I come here, I
start thinking about places I want to go on vacation."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/nyregion/06JOUR.html?ex=1058617407&ei=1&en=e0df751c0ead09ad

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company