Re: What does a dispatcher do at an airline?

Kenton / All:

My definition would be a "one armed, paper hanger!"

>From my observation of dispatch ops at Atlantic Coast
Airlines nearby Dulles, its a darkened room with many
people in front of screens, much like an ATC room.
They are talking of course, to the pilots where ever
they are flying in the system. (One must be quiet when
they walk by or walk into the room. There is probably
some FAA regulation to support this policy, too.)

Here in Boston, Hudson General (our own one armed,
paper-hangers) are sending crews out to service the
planes and taking down arrival and departure times,
de-icing, fuel, etc. Not a very pleasant job. High
stress!

Can anyone agree / disagree? Am I defining the right
job title?

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass