NYTimes.com Article: For Frequent Fliers, Upgrades Depend on How Much the Ticket Cost

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

For Frequent Fliers, Upgrades Depend on How Much the Ticket Cost

July 1, 2003
 By JOE SHARKEY

ALMOST everything you read in travel columns about
frequent-flier miles is focused on the availability (or
more often unavailability) of point redemptions for free
trips.

But judging from heavy reader response to a recent column
on the subject, business travelers overwhelmingly see their
miles as representing a much different form of currency. To
them, miles are accumulated primarily to acquire the widely
lusted-after complementary upgrade from steerage to first
class.

But there is growing concern that the whole system - in
which passengers scramble to fly a certain number of miles
a year to qualify for membership in elite-status programs
that offer free upgrades to first class, depending on
availability - is beginning to look a lot like a pyramid
scheme. Many business travelers, while still jumping
through hoops to achieve or maintain elite status, wonder
if the whole system isn't bound to collapse one day under
its own groaning weight.

Here are some excerpts from reader responses:

"Yes, a
thousand times yes, I am putting a lot of effort into
qualifying for the first-class upgrades," wrote Lisa
Nicotra, a doctor from Minneapolis who flies enough each
year to maintain the lowest-level elite status on Northwest
Airlines.

To achieve elite status, passengers must reach a mileage
level - typically 25,000 for the lowest level, 50,000 for
the middle tier and 75,000 or more for the highest. On most
airlines, all miles flown by a passenger, even those paying
rock-bottom fares, count.

But in December, Delta Air Lines alarmed many frequent
fliers by announcing that those paying the highest fares
would get credit in its SkyMiles elite-status program for
twice the number of miles flown, while those paying the
cheapest fares would be awarded less credit per mile. ( Air
Canada took a similar step in May; and today, point
reductions for those flying at sharp discounts go into
effect at British Airways.)

Some business travelers who pride themselves on finding
cheap fares and still qualifying for upgrades denounce such
changes in the rules of the game - changes they fear will
be copied by domestic airlines.

"I fly every week and have maintained top-elite status on
Northwest and Delta for the past four years," Russell Sipes
wrote. "Delta lost me as a passenger the day they changed
their frequent-flier rules. If these larger airlines
continue this trend toward punishing the frequent, but
cheap, fliers, they will see a mass exodus toward the
discount carriers. If they think they are losing market
share now, just try to take my first-class seat."

Eric Fenster, who belongs to Continental's elite-status
program, said that airlines need to hear this message loud
and clear about any notions of changing their programs to
give greater benefits to passengers who provide the most
revenue while reducing benefits to those who fly the same
number of miles, but at cheaper fares. "Just one sentence
repeated over and over: If you switch from miles to
revenue, that will end my loyalty incentive," he said.
 .
Still, on many domestic flights now, with elite-status
passengers typically outnumbering the available first-class
seats, the amount a passenger has paid for a fare is
factored in to determine who has priority.

Donald K. Wilson, who said he usually flies out of
Continental's big hub in Newark (where it has no
competition, incidentally, from discount carriers like
JetBlue and Southwest), credited Continental with doing a
"terrific job" of delivering on its upgrade awards.

But he also noted that as the upgrade game becomes more
complex, frequent fliers accustomed to routine invitations
to the first-class cabin are learning that the fare they
pay inevitably has an influence, even on carriers that
still provide equal-status miles to passengers on the
cheapest fares. Qualifying is one thing; actually getting
the upgrade on a flight that has a long queue of qualified
passengers for a few first-class seats is another, he said.

Rita Murray agreed. "I am not bothered in the least if I
have to purchase a full-fare coach ticket to facilitate an
upgrade," she wrote, adding: "I am totally uninterested in
using my frequent flier miles to obtain a free coach
ticket. For me, it's upgrades all the way."

Adam Bialow, a member of Continental's midlevel Gold Elite
program, wrote that an upgrade to first class - which he
usually gets in off-peak hours - is "extremely important"
to him and that, "without a chance of upgrade on a
discounted fare, I have no incentive to be loyal to
Continental."

Sharon L. Adcock, who described herself as a member of
United Airlines' highest elite level, which requires
100,000 miles a year, wrote that first-class upgrades were
basically a means to work better when traveling. In the
past, there was an element of luxury in first class, but
that is gone on domestic flights, she said, adding: "Now,
with cutbacks in first class, you're lucky to get a meal,
and forget the Champagne. You basically get a better seat."

A good number of readers addressed the perception among
less-frequent fliers that the clamor for upgrades to first
class gives off the unpleasant smell of class warfare.

"For frequent air travelers, first class represents much
more than cushy transportation and free booze," Todd
Albright wrote. "First class represents a productive
working environment (including quick entry and exit for
those heavily on the go)."

He added: "Class warfare in the travel sense has nothing to
do with economic strata. It has to do with travel
frequency, which, in my experience, begets knowledge. In
this sense, first-class upgrades are simply another airline
tool for stratifying those who know how to travel from
those who may not."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/01/business/01ROAD.html?ex=1058069199&ei=1&en=8796a11fcc67767d

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company