Boeing sees no-frills airlines taking lion's share

Boeing sees no-frills airlines taking lion's share  =

 =

 =

  =

Wednesday June 25, 1:37 PM EDT =

(Adds quotes, comment on BAE, probe details)

By Jason Neely, European Aerospace & Airlines Correspondent

LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA), the world's largest aircraft =
maker, expects no-frills carriers to grab the bulk of the airline market =
in the future, Chief Executive Phil Condit said on Wednesday.

Boeing, planning its first all-new airliner in more than a decade, and ar=
ch rival Airbus SAS (EAD) are both working on new planes that will offer =
lower costs to operators mired in the airline industry's worst slowdown.

"I think we will continue to see a migration of the value passenger into =
that segmented product which means that the full-service carrier is going=
 to have to decide how to deal with lower traffic," Condit told reporters=
 at a lunch meeting.

  =

Condit said airlines offering full services such as hot meals which now d=
ominate the market could slip to 40 percent of the market in terms of rev=
enues as no-frills carriers continue to steal a march from them.

NEW PLANE ON THE HORIZON

He said among Boeing's top priorities now was its planned 200-seat 7E7 Dr=
eamliner due in 2008, two years after Airbus plans to introduce its much =
larger 555-seat A380.

He said the market would decide which approach was right.

"The answer is going to play out over a decade or two, not the next six m=
onths."

After three models that did not make it past the drawing board, Boeing ho=
pes to get board approval late this year or in early 2004 to offer the 7E=
7 to potential customers.

It is "highly likely" to get the go-ahead, Condit said, reiterating that =
development would cost less than the 777 programme launched in 1990. He d=
eclined to comment on investment size.

The aircraft is expected to replace the ageing Boeing 757 and 767 models =
and spawn a stretched version with 250 seats, a size analysts see as a ke=
y niche.

Condit also said the unprecedented slowdown in the sector was showing sig=
ns of easing, but the risk of more shocks, including a return of SARS, re=
mained.

"We are seeing a pick-up in forward bookings," he said, but noted the ind=
ustry had work to do before returning to 2000 levels.

Air attacks in the United States in September 2001, a global economic slo=
wdown, SARS and war in Iraq have badly hurt travel demand.

MERGER, PROBE

Asked about the chances of a Boeing takeover of BAE Systems Plc (BA), Bri=
tain's largest defence firm and the subject of tie-up talks with Boeing f=
or years, Condit said a deal remained "potentially interesting".

"If it were a no-brainer, it would be done (already)," Condit said, addin=
g the idea was only part of its continuing broad examination of merger an=
d acquisition possibilities.

"We will continue to look on a global scale, we are looking at a range in=
 terms of small enterprises up to bigger enterprises," he said.

Condit said a U.S. probe into actions by Boeing employees during a 1998 d=
efence contract bidding process was not expected to hurt its defence syst=
ems business, which is set to top commercial aircraft in revenues this ye=
ar for the first time.

"We are co-operating completely with that investigation," he said, adding=
 Boeing had launched an internal probe alongside one being conducted by t=
he U.S. Justice Department.

The probes focus on whether Boeing employees used documents from rival Lo=
ckheed Martin Corp (LMT) in a bid to win a $1.88 billion rocket launcher =
contract.

"Two (Boeing) people were directly implicated, there's a question right n=
ow: Did that go any further?," Condit said.

Boeing fired two employees in 1999 in connection with the incident and th=
is month took out full-page advertisements in U.S. newspapers to explain =
its position. =

=A92003 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS