Midwest outlines financial options

Midwest outlines financial options ...Chapter 11 would have to be soon if
airline is to find new financing
By RICK BARRETT
rbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last Updated: June 24, 2003

Midwest suggested that such a filing could come by mid-July. In a memo to
employees, Midwest's senior leadership said the airline could emerge from
Chapter 11 "with significantly reduced debt and a new opportunity to
rebuild our financial stability." But reorganization could cost the airline
millions of dollars in legal fees and lost business, including a 40% drop
in airfare bookings, the memo said. "Chapter 11 is a very expensive
process," the memo notes. "The court may make decisions that adversely
affect employee groups. . . . If the company's liabilities are greater than
its assets, stock can become worthless. In most instances, the company's
plan of reorganization under Chapter 11 will cancel all existing shares of
stock so that new stock can be issued for distribution to new investors and
creditor groups." Earlier this month, Midwest officials said the company
might be forced to file for Chapter 11 protection in federal bankruptcy
court if it does not get concessions from aircraft lessors, banks and labor
unions by midsummer. Tuesday, company officials said they still hoped to
avoid filing for reorganization, although "it would not be far off," should
the action be necessary. "We have a small window of opportunity to complete
the restructuring we began in February," the memo noted. In February,
Midwest suspended payments on more than 35 airplanes, placing the airline
in default of its financial agreements for the first time in its 19-year
history. "For some months, we have had more cash flowing out of our
business than coming in," the memo continued. "One factor that will help us
determine if we should file for Chapter 11 is our cash on hand. A company
contemplating Chapter 11 must have sufficient cash to weather the Chapter
11 case and its additional costs. Additionally, our current bank facility
(line of credit) expires August 30. We need to complete our restructuring
at least six weeks before that date to allow enough time to arrange for a
new line of credit. That brings us to a point in midsummer."

Airline could gain concessions

Midwest officials said their ability to gain concessions from aircraft
leasing companies and banks is enhanced by the prospect of filing for
reorganization since contracts and leases could be rejected in bankruptcy
court proceedings. "It provides an enormous incentive for creditors and
contract holders to reach agreement with us," the memo noted. Midwest has
strengthened its cash reserves in recent months after the reserves had
declined at what company officials had acknowledged was an alarming rate.
It has done well with three-day airfare sales, including one that ended
Tuesday. "We definitely are better off," said Carol Skornicka, Midwest
senior vice president. "We are in a position where we think that we could
enter Chapter 11 with enough cash to emerge successfully. We are still OK
on that score." Bankruptcy courts have permitted airlines undergoing
reorganization to honor prepaid tickets and frequent-flier programs.
United, US Airways and others have operated in Chapter 11 without causing
problems for their customers. But some travelers are nervous about airline
reorganizations, even if it means no changes in flight schedules while the
airlines solve their financial problems. There's a powerful stigma attached
to a Chapter 11 filing, and that is one reason why companies want to delay
such a move for as long as possible. "One of our consultants said we could
expect nearly a 40% drop in bookings almost immediately" following the
announcement of a Chapter 11 filing, Skornicka said. In the memo, Midwest
said it had already reduced operating costs by $7 million a month but added
that it must find more savings if the company is to become profitable
again. The company needs $600,000 a month in savings from its union
employees through a combination of work rule changes, productivity
improvements or wage reductions, the memo noted. Monday, Midwest's stock
price plummeted more than 15%, to $2.30, in trading on the New York Stock
Exchange. Tuesday, the price regained everything it lost Monday and closed
at $2.72. "I would not read anything into Monday's stock price decline,"
said Darren Bagwell, airline industry analyst for Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans, an Appleton financial services company. "It doesn't take a whole
lot to get fluctuations" in a company's stock price when it trades at less
than $3 per share, he said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/