SF Gate: Alaska Airlines begins talks about wage concessions with unions

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/06/25/f=
inancial0746EDT0025.DTL

Wednesday, June 25, 2003 (AP)
Alaska Airlines begins talks about wage concessions with unions

   (06-25) 04:46 PDT SEATTLE (AP) --
   Alaska Airlines has opened talks with representatives of five unions to
discuss possible wage cuts as the West Coast regional carrier tries to
slash costs and regain profitability.
   The airline, which has not been profitable for the past three years amid
an overall industry slump, wants to reduce expenses by about 15 percent
excluding fuel costs by 2005, vice president Louis G. Cancelmi said.
   Over the past two years, the company has instituted or identified some
$100 million in savings but needs concessions from workers to meet the
goal, he said.
   The company would not specify exactly what concessions it might seek from
unions representing about 8,500 employees, including pilots, flight
attendants, mechanics, dispatchers and clerical workers. The company said
it would seek the biggest cuts from those whose salaries are significantly
higher than the industry average.
   Alaska Airlines, a subsidiary of Alaska Air Group of Seattle, would like
to reach agreements with its unionized workers sometime this fall,
Cancelmi said.
   "We want to work collaboratively with our workers so that we can continue
to be the strong growing airline that we have been," he said, adding that
the talks have just begun.
   Tom Lynch, a local official with the Transport Workers Union of America,
told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer the move was no surprise.
   "I thought the company presented its case professionally," Lynch said.
"We'll see what happens."
   Other union leaders could not be reached for comment late Tuesday.

On the Net:
   www.alaskaair.com

=20
Copyright 2003 AP