SFO = San Francisco, California
DTW = Detroit, Michigan
YQB = Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Thursday, June 5, 2003
DL 314 HNL-SFO 767-432ER N825MH new colors seat 25G
There were lines for both the agriculture inspection station and for
check in.  Delta's kiosks were out of service.  An agent checked us in
and we went over to security; the line was a bit long so we went down
to the next checkpoint next to American's counter. ID and boarding pass
checked, then boarding pass again as went through the magnometer.
Headed to gate 21 for departure.  Noticed that while the aircraft was
painted in the newest colors, part of the port engine nacelle cover was
for the Ron Allen livery.  Boarded when they told us to.  Carry-ons in
the overhead bins and we sat down.  Pushed back at 9:29pm, one minute
ahead of schedule, and taxied to runway 8R for departe, rolling for
takeoff at 9:47pm.

Video programming throughout the flight was the feature film, Shanghai
Knights, followed by Delta Horizons Spectrum, with various video
features.  I tried to sleep, not really succeeding, in lieu of paying
$5 for those painful, pneumatic in the ear headsets.  Meal service
consisted of beverages and pretzels.  That's it.  Sure, it's a red eye.
  At least Hawaiian gives a sandwich and chips on their 5 hour red eye
flight to Los Angeles.  The winged headrests weren't much help since if
you try to rest against them with them folded out, they just fall back
against the seat.  Overall the flight was pretty smooth, with just a
few bumps here and there.  Same for all six on this trip, actually.

Eventually we began our descent into SFO.  As we emerged from the
clouds we powered up and climbed up back above them.  One of the pilots
came on and explained that there was a passenger in a lavatory so we
couldn't land and thus we were going around.  Despite the go-around we
still touched down on 28R at 5:24am, 6 minutes ahead of schedule.  We
taxied to our gate, 46.

Got off the plane, and headed for baggage claim.  Bags were delivered
reasonably promptly.  Then began the trek to our rental car.  Down the
escalator and through the tunnel to the parking garage.  Then through
the garage to Terminal 2 and up the escalator to the SkyTrain station.
Then take the SkyTrain to the rental car building, but since we were
renting from Payless, an off-site company, we weren't done yet.  The
signs indicated to take an elevator to the ground floor, but once there
there was no sign.  We ended up walking into the empty lobby to find a
sign outside pointing us to an outside island back the way we came,
where there was a small phone we used to call and ask Payless to come
pick us up.

The SkyTrain is a decent enough idea, as is the rental car center.
Beats the old half-hour (it seemed) shuttle bus ride to the old Alamo
offsite lot if you're renting from an airline located there.  But why
is it on the parking lot side of the street, rather than on the
terminal side?

Thursday, June 12, 2003
Returning the car went better, mainly since we already knew where to go.

NW 340 SFO-DTW 757-251 unkn reg old colors seat 35F
Lines were short so we checked in with an agent.  Security line wasn't
too bad.  Went to gate 47 to wait for boarding.  Where the aircraft was
parked I couldn't see it to get the registration.  Boarded when our row
was called and stowed our carry ons in the overhead bin.  Near
scheduled departure time the captain came on the PA and advised they
were having a problem with the air conditioning.  Scheduled to depart
at 8:15am, we pushed back a half hour late at 8:45am.  Taxied to runway
1R for departure and were rolling at 8:56am.  Though the aircraft was
equipped with CRT televisions and in-seat audio, the system was not
used.  Safety demonstration was done by the flight attendants.
Breakfast meal consisted of a warm bagel with cream cheese, Wheaties
cold cereal with milk, and a banana, along with the usual assortment of
beverage choices.  I read the World Traveller magazine, which I noticed
had diagrams of all the aircraft in NW's fleet in new colors, except
for the Saab 340.  We were able to make up a little bit of the delay in
flight, touching down on runway 3R in DTW at 4:10pm, 20 minutes late.
We taxied to our gate, A28 where we deplaned and hurried over to
concourse C for our connecting flight.

NW 3762 DTW-YQB CRJ-200LR N8580A old colors seat 10D opb Pinnacle
Airlines
Arrived at gate C4 with a few minutes to spare before boarding started.
  This would be my first time in a CRJ; having my first Regional Jet
flight in March in an American Eagle ERJ-140.  As boarding started we
were asked to make sure the back side of our boarding passes, with the
contact information, was filled out.  Something was mumbled about a
Canadian customs form, but when we enquired about them as our boarding
passes were collected, we were told she would give some to the flight
attendant, even though there was a stack right next to her.  Boarding
was through a jetway.  As I sat down on the aircraft, I immediately
noticed the small windows that are too low.  They're ok if you want to
look down, but not if you want to look out, say at the wing or of the
other aircraft on the ramp.  The flight was not full, and the flight
attendant closed the air vents for the seats where nobody was sitting.
We pushed back at 5:07pm, four minutes late, and headed for runway 3L.
On our way out I noticed a Saab 340 in new Northwest colors; had also
seen a 747 with the new paint.  We were rolling for takeoff at 5:21pm
and headed for Quebec.  Drinks and Biscotti cookies were served.
Touched down in YQB at 6:41pm, 17 minutes early.  We parked and
disembarked onto ramp and into the terminal building at YQB's small
customs and immigration hall.  After having our passports stamped, we
claimed our bags.  My father stopped by the currency exchange desk
while I wandered the terminal looking for Hertz.  Found them all the
way at the other side next to domestic baggage claim.  Picked up our
car and headed to the hotel.

Wednesday, June 18, 2003
NW 3763 YQB-DTW CRJ-200LR N8142F old colors seat 5D opb Pinnacle
Airlines
Time to go home.  Dropped off the car and headed for the Northwest
Airlink counter.  Line wasn't too long but moved somewhat slow.  Only
two agents working checkin.  Keep in mind though, that all NW has at
YQB is two flights a day, both with CRJs.  According to the flight
information monitors, NW also codeshares on American Eagle's flight to
Boston and there was the NW name at AA's counter, along with their
other codeshare parners on the route, Midwest and Alaska.  The NW
magazine, however, did not indicate the route, only the DTW flight
along with Continental Express' flight to Newark.  When we tried to
check in, the agent at first was going to tag our bags only to SFO,
though our final destination was HNL.  The reservations had been booked
separately and he didn't seem to know how to tag the bags for the DL
flight.  At first he said we would have to claim and recheck them in
SFO, then he said he would tag them to SFO now then his supervisor
would try to fix it when she arrived at 8am.  Finally he called Delta
(or somebody) and they got it setup to check our bags through to HNL.
He got is checked in and gave us our boarding passes along with a US
Customs form.  At first he gave us one in French; when we asked he got
us the English version.  We brought our bags over to the big x-ray
machine next to the NW counter, then headed to gate 8 to await
boarding.  We passed through security and sat down.  While waiting I
managed to get a couple of photos, a Hydro Quebec Dash 8-400, Air
Canada Jazz Dash 8, and a Beech 1900 cargo plane.  Also saw a Quebecair
Saab 340, Air Canada 737-200, and a pair of Royal 737-200s, all of
which I could not get photos of.

Boarding started later than it should have for an on time departure,
which was scheduled for 8:20am.  We finally powered out of the gate at
8:44am, and headed to runway 24.  There we sat holding short.  The
captain came on and said there were no problems with the weather or
aircraft, they were just waiting for the final numbers from
headquarters.  We waited for a while, finally rolling for takeoff at
9:20am, a full hour late.  The captain said he'd buy us drinks because
of the delay, but since this was an international flight, they were
already free.  Thanks to schedule padding we weren't expecting to
arrive an hour late; the flight takes about an hour and a half but is
scheduled for 2:20.  The flight attendant served drinks and a granola
bar.  After serving drinks she came through the cabin offering a second
bar.  We touched down on runway 22L at 11:00am, 20 minutes late.  We
taxied to gate A46.  YQB doesn't have US customs so we were treated as
an international arrival in DTW, thus needing a gate that would feed us
to customs.  We disembarked via the ramp and were directed into a
building and took an elevator down.  While waiting for the rest of the
passengers and flight crew, I overheard one of the agents commenting to
a passenger that they were wondering where we were; normally our flight
is about a half hour early.  Once everyone was on the lowest level we
were lead to the customs hall where our passports were processed.  Then
we claimed our bags and were checked again, then directed to baggage
recheck.  The lines were a bit long as there was also an Amsterdam
flight that had arrived.  Security at recheck was not well organized;
they had several different machines and were were directed to one, but
they couldn't keep track of whose bags were whose so that we knew when
our bags had all been processed ok.

NW 345 DTW-SFO 757-251 N552NW old colors seat 34A
By the time we made it to gate A24 they had already started boarding.
We got on and settled down.  Scheduled to depart at 12:27pm, we were
first delayed by loading bags, then by problems with the tug.  Two
thoughts crossed my mind at this point.  One, if this was Eastern, we
could powerback (since as I recall hearing, EA powerbacked their 757s),
and if this was a DC-9, we could powerback.  But alas, we had to wait.
We pushed back at 12:39pm.  While taxiing to the runway 28L, I saw a NW
DC-9 in new colors.  Also saw a Spirit MD-80 in their new colors parked
near their hangar.  We were rolling at 12:55pm.  This aircraft had LCD
monitors, but like on the previous flight, they were not used.  Shortly
after takeoff, the captain gave some technical details about the
flight, most interesting was that the amount of fuel we were going to
burn could power a small SUV for 8 years.  Meal service was a choice of
ham or turkey sandwich, along with a bag of Fritos corn chips and a cup
of water, along with the usual beverage selections.  I managed to doze
off a bit on the flight, and eventually we began our descent into San
Francisco.  Approach was from the south, but seemed further east than I
was used to, almost like we were going to Oakland; normally when flying
through SFO I had been on north-south flights, and for some reason I
had a tendency to sit on the other side of the aircraft.  As we flew
over the south end of the bay, I heard other passengers wondering about
the colored areas and realized I wasn't sure what they were either.
Touched down on runway 28L at 2:19pm, five minutes early, and taxied to
gate 43.

DL 219 SFO-HNL 767-432ER N833MH new colors seat 39G
Had a long layover, about 3:30.  I was hoping Delta would have a kiosk
airside so we could check in without exiting the secure area, or
waiting until an hour before the flight.  We saw there was no security
line, so decided just to go to the ticket counter to check in.  Did
that then went back through security.  Got a drink at Jamba Juice, and
watched what traffic I could see, with a few photos; British Airways
and Air France 747s, and also the AlaskaAir.com 737-400.  The United
terminal is better for watching planes.  The flight was overbooked and
they were asking for volunteers to be bumped in exchange for confirmed
first class the next day, $400 travel vouchers, hotel accommodations,
and meal vouchers.  The big caveat was that checked bags were going to
fly to HNL as originally scheduled.  We didn't need to be back in HNL
that day, so we gave up our seats.  I also noticed that they were also
offering first class upgrades for the same day for $150.  After the
flight left they processed our compensation, getting us our various
vouchers.  Listening to the agents, it sounded like two passengers were
bumped involuntarily, only one of which actually showed up at the gate
so he got reaccommodated.  We asked about and were told we could get
amenity kits from the baggage service office, which we did, then headed
outside to wait for the shuttle to the hotel, the Best Western
Grosvenor Hotel.

Thursday, June 19, 2003
DL 219 SFO-HNL 767-432ER N843MH new colors seat 4F
Went back to the airport to check in.  Tried to use the kiosk but it
couldn't find our reservation.  An agent, who I had seen at another
gate the day before, tried to check us in, but the boarding passes
printed out that they required a flight coupon; apparently our new
reservation was set up for paper tickets but we weren't given them.  He
checked with the agents who were working the flight yesterday and they
marked our boarding passes so they'd know to accept them without the
ticket attached.  Went through security, not much line there.  Back to
gate 46, the flight had already arrived from Salt Lake City.  Full
again and they were asking for volunteers, but this time we did need to
get back, plus they weren't offering first class.  As we boarded the
flight we were thanked for giving up our seats the day before.  We
settled into our seats, which my father thought reminded him of
Hawaiian's DC-9 first class seats.  My brother had recently been
upgraded on a Hawaiian 767, and also thought their first class was
better, Delta's only advantage being personal TVs.  The seats were a
leather-fabric mix; fabric on the seating surfaces and leather
everywhere else.

Prior to departure drinks and snack mix were served.  While we were
waiting to depart, a Sun Country 737-800 came in from Minneapolis and
parked next to us.  Nice paint job on it.  We pushed back four minutes
behind schedule at 6:09pm and taxied to runway 28L behind a United
Express CRJ.  We were rolling for takeoff at 6:19pm.  A lot of
side-to-side turbulence on takeoff which smoothed out after maybe 30
seconds.  On my PTV, I watched Lost in La Mancha (the coach class movie
was How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days).  During the movie dinner was served.
  A chicken sandwich (deli-meat style sliced chicken), a bag of
salt-and-pepper potato chips, and a small baked pastry I can't remember
what.  Probably not much different than the "Little Blue Bag" coach
passengers got on the flight, but with better presentation (on a try
with actual plates and drinks in glasses), but plastic utensils.  After
dinner I played some solitaire and some hangman on my PTV, before
catching part of the movie Chicago for the rest of the flight.
Scheduled to land at 8:13pm, we touched down on runway 4R at 7:55pm,
and taxied to gate 20, with an American 757 to our left, and and Delta
767-400ER to our right.  Got off the plane and headed to baggage claim,
where we found our bags waiting for us at the baggage service office.

Overall thoughts:
- Delta's meal service is inferior to Hawaiian's.
- Delta's domestic first class service is not worth paying for.  More
legroom, a little bigger seat, and a PTV.  Meals hardly better than
coach.  Flight attendants about as attentive.  Hawaiian does better
here too.
- Better windows and 1x2 seating (good when traveling alone) give
Embraer an edge over Bombardier in the 50 seat RJ comparison.
- Does Northwest really save money by not using the TVs?

--
David Mueller / HNL
dmueller7@xxxxxxxxx