SF Gate: Boeing names five suppliers for 7E7, gives jet new name

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/06/16/f=
inancial1601EDT0169.DTL

Monday, June 16, 2003 (AP)
Boeing names five suppliers for 7E7, gives jet new name

   (06-16) 13:01 PDT SEATTLE (AP) --
   The Boeing Co. on Monday named five companies that will help design and
build the airframe of its proposed new jet, the midsized, fuel-efficient
7E7.
   The Chicago-based aerospace manufacturer also has announced that it has
nicknamed the new jet the "Dreamliner." The name received the most votes
of four choices among those who cast a vote on a Web site as part of a
contest sponsored by Boeing and America Online Time Warner. "Dreamliner"
beat out Global Cruiser, eLiner and Stratoclimber.
   The five outside suppliers named to Boeing's airframe team are Alenia
Aeronautica, Fuji Heavy Industries, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi
Heavy Industries and Vought Aircraft Industries.
   "We are not at a point where we can say specifically what parts or what
percentage of the airplane will be awarded to any company," said Mike
Bair, senior vice president of the Boeing 7E7 program, in a statement from
the Paris Air Show.
   Bair also updated work on the 7E7, noting that the company is in talks
with more than 40 airlines as it continues development work on the plane.
   Boeing is studying both 200-passenger and 250 passenger versions of the
7E7.
   The 7E7's range will be between 8,300 to 9,200 miles, allowing airlines =
offer nonstop service between cities such as Washington, D.C., and Rome or
Newark to Rio de Janeiro.
   "We know that people prefer to fly directly to their destination," Bair
said. "The 7E7 will let more people do that. We estimate that there are
more than 400 city pairs that could be served non,stop efficiently for the
first time with the 7E7."
   In addition, the jet will have wider aisles, more cabin humidity and will
feel as if passengers are flying at a lower altitude than in other
airplanes.
   The Paris Air Show, held every other year continues through June 22.

On the Net:
   www.boeing.com

=20
Copyright 2003 AP