Air Canada says revenues plummeting by $1B this year, shares likely worthless

Canadian Press  Wednesday, June 11, 2003

MONTREAL (CP) - Air Canada's revenues this year will be more than $1
billion lower than in 2002, mostly because of the impact of SARS, airline
president and CEO Robert Milton said Wednesday.  Air Canada also confirmed
that there is unlikely to be any value for shareholders by the time its
restructuring is complete. The struggling airline said revenues in May were
about $200 million lower than the same month last year and June looks just
as bad. "We currently expect the 2003 year-over-year revenue shortfall to
be significantly in excess of $1 billion with no expectation of meaningful
recovery before the third quarter of 2004," Milton stated.  The company, by
far Canada's largest airline, has been operating under court protection
from creditors since April 1. It had $12.9 billion in long-term debt and
leases at the end of 2002 and has been losing $5 million a day.

Passenger traffic on the main Air Canada airline fell 26.4 per cent in May
compared with the same month last year, while its regional subsidiary Jazz
flew 9.5 per cent fewer revenue passenger miles.  A major cause of Air
Canada's reduced traffic is severe acute respiratory syndrome, which has
discouraged travel to Toronto - the airline's main hub, where the disease
has killed 33 people - and elsewhere.  "As can be seen from our results,
the SARS outbreak continues to have a major negative impact on traffic, not
only on our Asian routes but on our entire network, and in particular, our
main hub at Toronto," Milton said.  "Advance international bookings for the
summer are weak and we expect that the entire Canadian tourism industry is
under similar pressure," he added. "International travellers are avoiding
Canada in general."

Air Canada also outlined the results of a board meeting Wednesday at which
the directors approved a plan to seek $1.35 billion in debt and equity
financing needed to emerge from proceedings under the Companies' Creditors
Arrangement Act.  "In such circumstances," the airline stated, "it is
highly likely that a substantial portion of the company's unsecured debt
will be converted to new equity and that there will not be any meaningful
recovery to existing equity of the company."  Air Canada shares (TSX:AC),
worth $2 just before the company entered bankruptcy protection, dived as
low as 69 cents after the filing but have since revived, trading Wednesday
at $1.84.  Air Canada's revenues were $9.8 billion last year, when it lost
$828 million.  It has been striving to cut annual operating costs by at
least $2.1 billion through its court-supervised restructuring.  Unions have
tentatively agreed to $1.1 billion in concessions, including thousands of
job cuts. Air Canada is also expected to press creditors, including leasing
companies, financial backers and suppliers, to accept similar sacrifices.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/