Southwest CEO not ready to predict recovery

Southwest CEO not ready to predict recovery

DALLAS (Reuters) =97 The chief executive of Southwest Airlines said Tuesday=
=20
he expects a smaller profit in the second quarter than a year ago, while=20
adding it was too early to say if the low-fare airline has recovered from=20
the industry's Sept. 11 downturn. Jim Parker, the CEO of the only=20
profitable major U.S. airline, told an analysts conference in New York,=20
monitored by Webcast, that the company has seen growth in traffic in late=20
April and in May after a slow start to the quarter brought about by reduced=
=20
travel demand due to the war in Iraq.

But, excluding a $271 million payment Southwest received from the=20
government in the quarter as part of an industry-wide aid package, profits=
=20
will be down in the second quarter. With a special item, Southwest posted a=
=20
second quarter 2002 profit of $102.3 million. "It will be very difficult=20
for us to match the profit in the second quarter of last year when we=20
incurred a one-time, favorable air traffic adjustment of $36 million,"=20
Parker said. Parker said since the Sept 11, 2001 attacks on the United=20
States, which slammed the airline industry, Southwest has been trying to=20
survive the downturn while building for a future when demand recovers. "I=20
think it is too early for me to say that we are on the edge of a recovery.=
=20
I don't know when it is going to come, but I do know that Southwest is=20
superbly positioned to participate in any recovery," Parker said. While=20
Parker said he would not predict a recovery for Southwest, shares of=20
aerospace giant Boeing Co. rose about 3.5%, boosted by an analyst upgrade=20
and hopes that its airline customers may be poised for a slow recovery from=
=20
a devastating travel slump.

Banc of America, in a research note, said airlines were "turning the=20
corner," despite the SARS scare that had cut air travel in Asia. The note=20
pointed to optimism among aircraft leasing companies as well as improving=20
airline traffic in May.
Southwest was the only major airline to post a net profit in 2002 as the=20
eight largest U.S. carriers lost $11 billion in the year, including=20
Southwest's $241 million net profit. "Things have stabilized. Things are=20
not getting worse. In my opinion, it is too early for me to stand here and=
=20
tell you that things are getting better," Parker said. Parker said that=20
Southwest has been able to keep its costs down during the downturn in the=20
market, while keeping its balance sheet strong. Southwest shares closed=20
unchanged at $16.51 in trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday.=20
Parker also said that earlier in the day, Southwest announced cuts in its=20
walk-up fares between Northeastern U.S. cities and Florida.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/