Group wants airport screeners unionized

WASHINGTON (AP) =97 A federal employees' union said Monday it will ask=20
Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge to let them represent airport security=
=20
screeners. The American Federation of Government Employees plans to send a=
=20
letter to Ridge this week, asking him to overrule a January decision by=20
Transportation Security Administration head James Loy. "When 9-11 happened,=
=20
we didn't say, 'Wait a minute, our collective bargaining agreement says we=
=20
have to do this,'" said Bobby L. Harnage, president of the American=20
Federation of Government Employees. ``We did what was necessary. This has=20
nothing to do with national security."

Harnage said Ridge has the opportunity to prove that the Bush=20
administration was not targeting unions when it successfully argued for=20
removing civil service protections from Homeland Security Department=20
workers. The administration said at the time that it needed flexibility to=
=20
change assignments to respond to terror threats. A phone call to the=20
Homeland Security Department was not immediately returned Monday. Loy said=
=20
in January that the security screeners couldn't form a union to bargain for=
=20
working conditions because it would prevent the Transportation Security=20
Administration from making sudden changes in shift assignments to respond=20
to emergencies. "Admiral Loy stands behind that decision," TSA spokesman=20
Robert Johnson said. `"He is on the record as stating that in order to=20
remain responsible to the ongoing terrorist threat, we need a work force=20
that is flexible and can be deployed immediately without first having to=20
check with a union shop steward."

About 6,000 of the roughly 50,000 screeners have signed petitions=20
requesting AFGE to represent them, and some have become members of the=20
union, with dues deducted from their pay checks, Harnage said. But the=20
union cannot negotiate for working conditions or salaries. Screeners say=20
organizing a union shop would boost security as well protect as their=20
rights. At John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, for example,=
=20
screeners were pressured to quickly clear passengers so planes could leave=
=20
on time, said one employee, Cynthia Cavalie. "Sometimes it feels more like=
=20
we're charged with doing customer service work for the airlines than=20
providing security for the traveling public," she said. Johnson=20
acknowledged some "isolated incidents," and said the agency was working to=
=20
correct any problems. "Things will settle down this year and we will show=20
our work force that for those who are committed to this kind of work and=20
dedicated to protecting the American public, this will be a model work=20
place," he said. "While the union was having its news conference, our=20
screeners were doing their jobs. They were making sure that travelers got=20
on planes safely."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/