Airports: Was: Those clowns near LGB

Several on the List have mentioned the Constitution lately. One principle
of that document is local control, and that applies to location and use of
airports as well as other things. Now I have little sympathy for people
who move near a large commercial airport (O'Hare, say) and complain about
the noise. But I do have sympathy for folks -- and institutions, like
schools -- that were there before jets. I do think that people living near
Everett would have a valid complaint if all of a sudden that became a
commercial airport.

Yes, local control is not an absolute, and it is states that are
sovereign, not counties, but I do not think that people in Chicago or LA
should dictate what happens in Everett.

I do not know the exact details of LAX, BUR (Burbank), SNA (Orange
County?), but I have a proposal. If the social costs of greater traffic at
these airports are unacceptable, raise the landing fees, etc. until the
demand falls to the level these communities believe is socially
acceptable. Yes, the passengers will end up paying these, but if they want
the convenience of flying into these airports, they should. I also have no
sympathy for those who want to limit flights at BUR (for example), but
want to be able to fly in & out of BUR whenever they want.

john kurtzke
Fan of the Constitution, including the Preamble