Air Canada deal 'a big milestone'

Air Canada deal 'a big milestone' Airline avoids collapse, will save $250M=
=20
a year through contract with pilots union 'It's business as usual,' carrier=
=20
tells travellers
Paul Vieira and Nicolas Van Praet   CanWest News Service

TORONTO -- Air Canada has avoided collapse and managed to slash its labour=
=20
costs by more than $1 billion annually after three weeks of marathon=20
bargaining ended yesterday with the main pilots union agreeing to a=20
tentative deal. The Air Canada Pilots Association -- with 3,150 members --=
=20
was the last of seven unions to come to terms with the company, agreeing to=
=20
a six-year deal that will save the airline about $250 million=20
annually.  "This is a huge step forward and a big milestone," Murray=20
McDonald, Air Canada's court-appointed monitor, said shortly after the deal=
=20
was announced early yesterday morning.  "This lets the company go forward.=
=20
But there's a lot of work yet to be done." The other tentative agreements=20
Air Canada negotiated with its unions were contingent on the pilots coming=
=20
on board. Without the pilots, the airline -- which is burning through $5=20
million a day -- might have been forced to halt operations.

Air Canada's renegotiated labour contracts will save the company about $870=
=20
million a year. Add that to savings of $120 million from non-union staff=20
and $110 million from cutting back on its routes, and the company has saved=
=20
$1.1 billion on an annual basis. All the agreements must be finalized by=20
tomorrow, with ratification by union members to be completed by June 30.=20
Serge Beaulieu, a spokesman for the pilots, said the union's negotiating=20
team "deserved a medal" for their work. However, "when you just gave $250=20
million in concessions, I am not going to put any epithet on it ... and I=20
am not going to take my wife out to dinner to celebrate." The company can=20
now shift its focus to renegotiating new deals with its lenders, aircraft=20
lessors and suppliers, who are owed roughly $13 billion. Those groups were=
=20
reluctant to take a hit unless labour shared in the pain.

Robert Milton, the company's chief executive, praised the union leaders for=
=20
helping the airline while it is under court-ordered protection from=20
creditors. "I salute Air Canada's union leadership for doing the right=20
thing under trying circumstances to ensure the survival of this great=20
airline," Mr. Milton said in a statement.  "I recognize what a difficult=20
and unsettling time this has been for all of Air Canada's employees. A=20
successful ratification of all the tentative agreements will establish the=
=20
foundation to move forward with lessors, lenders, key suppliers and other=20
stakeholders." He added: "I wish to reassure Air Canada's customers that it=
=20
is business as usual." The uncertainty caused people to rethink travel=20
plans and worry about the value of their Aeroplan frequent-flyer points. In=
=20
some cases, Air Canada's business partners decided to cut ties with the=20
carrier. Future Shop, the electronics retailer, told customers via an=20
e-mail this weekend that it was cancelling, for the time being, its=20
partnership with Air Canada, whereby shoppers could accumulate=20
frequent-flyer points.

Prime Minister Jean Chr=E9tien said the deal, was "very positive" news. "But=
=20
it's a file that is very complicated and we have to see what is next," said=
=20
Mr. Chr=E9tien, who is in Evian, France, for a meeting of the G8 countries.=
=20
Air Canada has to re-establish the consumer trust it has lost over the past=
=20
week, and convince creditors and employees that it has a viable business=20
plan, industry experts said. "Air Canada has to come forward and say we are=
=20
an ongoing entity and we're going to continue to be one and we have no=20
reason to expect otherwise," said Fred Lazar, a business professor at York=
=20
University. Air Canada filed for bankruptcy protection on April 1, due to=20
its dwindling cash position and close to $13 billion of debt. The airline=20
is free from paying a number of bills while it seeks to reduce debt and=20
reorganize the company.

But since the filing, the airline's balance sheet has further deteriorated,=
=20
largely because of the outbreak of SARS in Toronto, Air Canada's main hub.=
=20
Recent reports indicate the company is losing $5 million a day, and needed=
=20
to find cost savings quickly if it is to emerge from bankruptcy protection.=
=20
The company is looking to cut its overall annual costs by twenty-five per=20
cent, or $2.4 billion. It is close to the halfway mark. Besides pay cuts,=20
the big stumbling block to completing a deal with the pilots was Air=20
Canada's plan to switch much of its flying from the mainline carrier to=20
Jazz, its regional carrier. The Air Canada Pilots Association, which=20
represents Air Canada and Zip pilots, said that would put hundreds of their=
=20
members out of work. The union that represents pilots at Jazz won a big=20
concession in its bargaining that will allow its members to operate=20
regional jets -- work that until now was exclusively reserved for ACPA=20
members.

Air Canada will also take 25 regional jets (with seating for up to 75=20
passengers) operated by ACPA pilots and transfer them to Jazz -- where the=
=20
pilots earn less money. Court documents suggest Air Canada will save $160=20
million a year by having Jazz pilots fly the 25 regional jets. It's unclear=
=20
how this issue was resolved, but sources said ACPA demanded the company=20
reopen its deal with the Jazz pilots before it would sign a new agreement.=
=20
That did not happen. Also, had ACPA and Air Canada failed to agree to a new=
=20
pact, a lawyer for the Jazz pilots threatened to argue in court that a=20
judge has some authority to interfere with a collective agreement in=20
"extraordinary circumstances," in an effort to save the airline from=20
liquidation. Labour and legal sources say the threat was a factor in=20
persuading ACPA to sign a deal. Mr. Beaulieu declined to comment on the=20
legal challenge.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/