Re: U.S. Nears Decision On Guns in Cockpit

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>

> Military pilots go through basic training, are trained to use their side
arms
> much more than these pilots, would never fire their guns in their planes
and
> only have them for the chance that they bail in hostile territory.
Commercial
> pilots would be carrying guns in huge, pressurized tubes, full of PAX,
that
> will be substantially harder to fly with a hole shot in them.
Additionally,
> there are as many as 400 PAX on the plane who are in danger if you have a
gun
> fight on a loaded plane.
It would take many holes in the aircraft to make it harder to fly.
El Al pilots carry weapons.  Let's see, El Al has had a total of a whopping
0 hijackings in the last umteen years.

see http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel022801.shtml,
http://www.rkba.org/orgs/dipr/states.crime-ccw.4sep95.html, and other sites

>It is this same thinking
> that makes people think that we need to give pilots guns, further
endangering a
> plane.  With the new cockpit doors, there is pretty much no way for
someone to
> get in if they are not let in, so the pilot can put anyone not buckled in
on
> the roof, knocking them out, much faster and more safely than taking them
out
> with a gun.
Yea, right. I really doubt the doors are 100% breakproof.

>Remember, they take care of property just fine in the UK where
> beat cops don't even carry guns (and are on much less of a power trip and
have
> better attitudes).
There are cops that do carry weapons in England, and ALL members of the
Royal Ulster Constabulary carry weapons (source:
http://www.britemb.org.il/information/FAQSlawandorder.html#2)