Plane potty privileges spark a class struggle

Plane potty privileges spark a class struggle
By Kitty Bean Yancey, USA TODAY

Since curtains between compartments parted in the name of security, class
warfare has erupted on airplanes. At least when it comes to lavatory
etiquette. With what many say is increased regularity, coach passengers
emboldened by the lack of barriers are slipping into first or business
class to use the facilities. And some elite fliers are in a lather. "I felt
cheated and ripped off," says Ken Kushnir of Santa Rosa, Calif. "I was
paying a premium for the supposed peace and quiet of the (forward) cabin,
and here were (coach) users tromping up and down, sometimes with screaming
children in tow."

Usually, says Richard Klein of Charlotte, flight attendants "just ignore
it." Because the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) now "mandates
that you can't keep the curtains closed, that invites more passengers" to
walk through to use the loo, explains US Airways spokesman David
Castelveter. "It's gotten worse" since the change took effect following
Sept. 11 to allow better scrutiny of passenger cabins, adds frequent flier
K.C. Kavanagh of Manhattan. And there's no relief in sight: A month ago,
the TSA ordered that curtains be physically removed on all U.S. carriers by
June 28. Meanwhile, who can use which restroom is left up to the airlines,
says a TSA spokeswoman. And policies and enforcement vary.

An America West spokeswoman, for instance, says coach passengers can use
first-class lavs. Most other carriers have a policy similar to that of
Northwest Airlines, where upper-class lavatories are "intended for the use
of customers seated in those areas," says spokeswoman Mary Stanik.
"However, a flight attendant should not prohibit a main-cabin customer from
using a lavatory in first or business class if necessary." "There are
circumstances where the flight attendants will allow the first-class
lavatories to be used" by coach passengers, echoes US Airways' Castelveter.

While some pre-flight announcements tell passengers to use only washrooms
in their sections, the warning often is ignored.  Rodney Owens of Dallas
understands that nature's call might bring some forward and that's OK, he
says. But, "I will admit to being outraged when a coach passenger takes
several minutes, resulting in a backlog of first-class passengers getting
queued up." Flight attendants do turn away interlopers. But a 20% cutback
in attendants by cash-strapped U.S. airlines since Sept. 11 makes
enforcement harder. Remember the Seinfeld episode in which Elaine was
repeatedly turned back when she tried to sneak into first class? Today, she
might make it there.

Kavanagh thinks the border crossings just mean that travelers' manners are
in the toilet. "Part of the protocol of flying has gone as flights have
become more of a cattle call," she says. "It just leads to general
anarchy." So how do fellow fliers feel about the use of upper-class lavs?
There was disagreement among 96 members of USA TODAY's Vacationers Panel
who responded to a query on the subject. "It's a pain to go back if you're
in Row 3 and the beverage carts are blocking the aisle," says Alex Corzo of
Los Angeles. Others in the front rows of economy agree it makes sense to
walk a few steps forward, especially if upper-class toilets are at the back
of that section.

"I do believe that coach passengers should be able to use the forward
lavatory," echoes Chuck Lindell of Colorado Springs, Colo. "That will
achieve much more balance in usage." Hold on, say others. "If I'm paying
(or using miles) to sit in first class, then I don't want to see people
from the back of the plane waiting in line to use the first-class
bathroom," declares Bonnie Sporn of Chicago. "It sounds snobby, but that's
why you pay for first class, to have short lines and less chaos." "If you
want to use the first-class facilities, buy a first-class ticket," says
Barbara Grogg of Tulsa. "You don't jump up and  go to first class at
mealtime, do you?" Some are amazed by the boldness of the border-hoppers.
"I've been tempted, but I'm of the generation that follows the rules," says
67-year-old Nancy Frankhouser of Lancaster, Pa. "I'm sure the moment I
would use (a first-class john), bells would ring, lights would flash. And I
would be embarrassed."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/